Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Ideas for a Vet Carrier?

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
The girls have their first vet appt for Monday at 5:20pm. If anyone saw my earlier post, Calypso had hay in her eye so we have to get her checked out. I don't know how to get them there though. I have extra grids, but no coroplast so I don't know what to do as far as keeping the mess in if I did that.

Also, what should I put in the carrier for the visit? Will they be alright without water for a few hours? I was thinking just hay but don't know.

Thanks.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hey Kimberly!

I have found that a dog/cat crate works great for vet visits. Preferably one that opens from the top and the sides, and has a detachable top.

(broken link removed)__

That is the one that I use. Get the cheapest one and that is the one that I used.

I would put some bedding in the carrier and all the familiar items of home-- Something to hide in, hay, a water bottle (it will work if you get the brand I recommended) and DEFINITELY have their favorite veggies On-Hand and in the carrier. This will make the vet's job a ton easier.

Good luck!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Contact your local rescue or shelter to see if they have any for sale. I got a brand new one, with tags still attached, at Salvation Army Store. It had a color tag on it so it was half price the day I was there.

grace505

Cavy Slave
I bought a large reptile carrier for the meantime, but am looking for a small cat carrier at garage sales, because it's that time of year for great deals! Just yesterday i scored all kinds of gerbil stuff for a lady I know who runs a rescue. The deals are out there, you just have to find them!!

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I use a pet taxi..I like it because I can use the car seat belt with it..

grace505

Cavy Slave
Also, a cardboard box would get them there and back if necessary and you can get something for next time. I think the important thing is that you get them there and home, not looks or anything. I would bring some hay, maybe a little food. As long as you're not driving hours to the vet they should be okay for a while. One time i was double-booked, she said i don't know how long a wait, i took a water bottle, food, hay, the works. Luckily i didn't really need it, didn't end up waiting very long at all!! Of course if i hadn't had any supplies, well you know how that goes!

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
This like mine..

petmate-pet-taxi-fashion-small-light-gray-navy-20-mississauga_5699227.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.