Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Poop soup or Benebac?

Murk21

Cavy Slave
So we're treating one of my 3 month old boars for a URI. He just started Bactrim last night. So far he hasnt acted like he has an upset tummy, but just to be safe, i want to look into a probiotic. I read somewhere about using the poop of a healthy pig as a probiotic. Would this be better than getting some Benebac? Can you tell me if one is better than the other and how to administer each?

The pigs are housed together and the other pig hasn't shown any signs of being sick. Can I presume it's safe to use his poo?

Thanks!

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Either is a good choice, but I tend to go with the probiotics (benebac, in your case). I give liquid probiotics 2 hours after every med administration.

Murk21

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much! How exactly do you make the poop soup and how much do you give?

If I go the Benebac route, are the instructions pertinient to guinea pigs or, if not, how much would you give?

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Poop soup instruction: Wait for a healthy pig to poop, and dissolve half of that fresh poop in a little bit of water. You can then just give this mixture by syringe or you can try putting it on some food (I would syringe).

Benebac comes with instructions on how much to give per body weight of animal, I belive. I just give acidophilus that can be found at your local pharmacy/health food store.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.