Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from Connecticut!

doganddisc

Cavy Slave
Good morning (morning here, that is!) everyone!

I was a member of the forums back in 2007 when I had a group of four males. Unfortunately, my circumstances changed drastically during that time and I had to rehome them on short notice. They went to a very good rescue though and were adopted quickly.

I had been missing my guinea pigs for several years but had to wait until the right time to get back into caring for cavies again. I started looking about two weeks ago and looked at a bunch of different boars (I tend to prefer boars) until I found my first guy. Unfortunately, the place I found him was at a Petco. I know the staff well and used to work there. I know it was a bad move and I shouldn't have, but I brought him home. (I would be giving any friends who made the decision I did an earful so go ahead and give it to me!).

As it turns out, he has what looks like a URI. I posted about that in the medical section.

Other than that, I am a full-time student about to graduate at the end of the year (finally!) with a degree in Animal Science. My specific area of interest is animal behavior. I plan to work on certification with the Association of Pet Dog Trainers once I have my degree. I own and operate a pet sitting business in Connecticut. I also train (using positive reinforcement methods) for clients on the side.

I have previously operated a rescue for herding breeds and performance dogs but have taken time off of that to finish my degree. I plan to continue fostering in the future.

In addition to my new cavy, I have two Border Collies, a Xoloitzcuintli, two cats, and six mice.

I look forward to getting to know everyone here!

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the forum! I can't wait to see pictures of your piggy!
BTW, I'm jealous that you're graduating soon, I'm a junior by credit hours but still have two years left of my graphic design degree.

:)

doganddisc

Cavy Slave
Pocketmonster, I know exactly how you feel. I started college in 2007. I'm twenty-three and still taking intro courses because I changed my major so many times. I've never been so tempted to lie about my age when a freshman asks me how old I am!

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Welcome back! Congrats on the new piggie too!

It took me 11 years to finish my degree while starting my pet sitting/dog walking business :) I am also a dog trainer (but decided I preferred caring for people's pets instead of trying to train the humans). Of course, I love my business so much that my degree is really just a piece of paper but it was worth every second. My mom lives in Torrington CT, that's not too far from you right?

doganddisc

Cavy Slave
SeeSpotSit, training the humans is one of my favorite things to do :) I love pet sitting as well though. I just like caring for the animals in general. My life goal is to start a rescue for performance dogs that are too active to be kept in or adopted out from a shelter. I LOVE fostering and rescuing more than anything else. Taking in a dog that is a little beat up or rough around the edges and watching him transform into a companion is the greatest feeling in the world.

I feel like my degree is going to be a piece of paper as well :) It helps to hear that I'm not the only one who took forever to get it though!

I am about thirty minutes from Torrington. I used to attend classes at the Canine Sports Center in Goshen, CT which is right outside of Torrington. Very cool!

doganddisc

Cavy Slave
spy9doc, great to see another CT resident here! How about that winter we had, eh? I have NO complaints personally- it can snow twice and be warm the rest of the time for the next ten years. :D

Thank you for the suggestion on the exotics vet. I use my vet in Windsor usually- he isn't a real exotics vet but he does know an awful lot about exotics and is familiar with common guinea pig ailments. I would probably opt for a true exotics vet for a more obscure issue though.

I have a C&C cage already- but thank you! :) I may message you in the future should I decide to expand though. I paid quite a bit for my coroplast- gone are the days when it costs $15 a sheet!

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
welcome back

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.