Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Safe to sprinkle baking soda in paper bedding?

Susie

Cavy Slave
I use the Carefresh paper bedding material. Is it really safe to sprinkle baking soda in it? Will my pigs inhale or eat it? Cosmo has large and plentiful poops. I clean every other day with a touch up on the middle day. Is baking soda safe? Anyone who uses it? Please let me know how they reacted. Cosmo is a happy, healthy, normal weight pig. He's just a stinky boy. He eats Oxbow pellets and Oxbow timothy hay, with occasional treats like green bean or Green pepper. I am new to this forum. Glad to be here!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Why do you want to sprinkle baking soda in it? The pigs will get it on their feet and then lick it off. If it smells, it's time to change it.

mcarranza

Cavy Slave
I use baking soda to maintain the smell. I make sure I place it on the bottom of a clean cage before putting the newspaper over it then the bedding over it. Just don't sprinkle baking soda on top of the bedding and make sure to keep spot cleaning every few days. That's what works for me. :)

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use baking soda anywhere in my cage. I have seen what it begins to look like when it gets in contact with icky stuff. I imagine it would be very hard to clean, too.

I would only use it when I clean their fleece. I would put it on the fleece when I put it in the washing machine.

lissie

Cavy Slave
How big is your cage? Smaller cages need to be cleaned more often.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.