Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

bottles or dishes?

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
so, i know there was a recent post about the cleanliness/safety if water bottles. i have a slightly related question. i really hate the plastic water bottles - i just know i can't get them really clean enough (no dishwasher). and i've herd alot about the glass bottles leaking. a previous poster mentioned using shallow ceramic dishes. i like that idea - what do yo all think? i cold refresh the water 2-3 times a day if necessary, and i'd keep it in a corner, away from running and popcorning routes :)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I wonder if a microwavable baby bottle sterilizer would work? They are in the baby section. I used glass bottles with my kids so I just boiled them. For the piggies I use the dishwasher.

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
I know I said it before but I use the Creme Brulee dishes these - Crème Brûlée Dish in Individual Bakeware | Crate and Barrel

After 3 glass living world bottles and 2 Water Buddy bottles (with a special patented no leak valve) I realized part of the problem was my piggies playing with the water. So in a day they would empty almost an entire bottle leaving the fleece soaked. I tried a brick and a bowl but it was always too much and I ended up with soggy fleece.

I have 2 young boars and a 2x6 with a 2x1 loft and have a dish in a corner on both floors. I put it in a corner so they don't run through it and it is the perfect shallowness, making drinking is easy. I refresh them in the morning at their veggie/sweep time and at night when I give them evening veggies and sweep. They have never tipped over these bowls.

I think bowls would not work in a kitchen or with bedding other than fleece because it would constantly have stuff kicked into it.

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
thanks [MENTION=20244]SeeSpotSit[/MENTION]! it was your post it was referring to initially. :) i think i'll give it a try. i was just wondering if there was an compelling reason NOT to use dishes i didn't know about.

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
@jacqueline - I thought the same thing when I was thinking of switching. With all of these people using fleece, I am often surprised at how many people don't use bowls...everyone says you're supposed to change their water daily even with bottles, but I highly doubt a 16 oz bottle gets changed everyday by most people. Also, with all of these inventive ways to help with the water bottle leakage problem, it's amazing I don't see more bowls in the gallery.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.