Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Not sure if this is impaction

Cleolyn

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and just wondering how can you tell the difference between impaction or your piggy just feeling under the weather? My pig's poos have been smelly and clumped together, when they are single ones, they are smaller and not pellet shaped like normal, more tapered. He is still going to the bathroom, eating, drinking and is fairly active. We recently changed his seeds and he seems to love them so he's eating them non stop, also I read too many carrots can cause pigs some digestive upset. Could that be the cause of his strange bowel movements? Thanks !

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
and they arent supposed to have seeds they are a choking hazard
do you mean pellets?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Please excuse this post if it's overly graphic but impaction is not a pretty subject.

Impaction happens when either the pig isn't getting enough roughage or is older and his muscles used to push out the poos, aren't working effectively. Poos will stay in the sac and form a large ball of poo. This ball of poo needs to be manually removed.

If your pig's sac feels firm or hard like there is something inside, the it's probably impaction and he needs to be de-impacted.

Also, seeds are a choking hazard and pretty fatty so should not be part of the pig's diet. Did you maybe mean is pellets?

Cleolyn

Cavy Slave
Yes pellets. The one I got him is a mixture of dried veggies and things like soybean meal.. smaller pellets.. dried corn.. things like that. He has had a similar kind before, they just didn't have that particular brand at the store this time. He seems to love them. I have never had to clean his sac before. This is the first time I'm noticing this problem. He is not that old. About middle aged I think. I don't even know if that's what it is. Like I said he's doing all the normal things he usually does. Maybe I'm just noticing things that aren't there? He is pooing. Just clumpy.. "/ I'm afraid to clean him myself. I'd rather a vet do it at least the first time, so I can see. Also he's very squirmy. When I clip his nails it's a whole process. honestly I'm afraid I'd hurt him :( I don't know if I should take him to the vet or not.

Cleolyn

Cavy Slave
I did feel his bottom and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.. I don't think. I felt a tiny bump but would that have been his penis inside maybe? It def. wasn't a big bump like maybe pea sized? He doesn't seem to be in any pain when I touch there either..

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yes pellets. The one I got him is a mixture of dried veggies and things like soybean meal.. smaller pellets.. dried corn.. things like that.

Pellets should be plain pellets. They should not have dried veggies, soybean meal or corn in the mix at all. The pellets are the important part of the mix. With mixes they tend to eat only the mix-ins and leave the pellets - a little like how kids will eat the marshmallows out of the cereal and leave the cereal. Kleenmamas is a good source for high quality pellets.

He is not that old. About middle aged I think.

A senior pig is considered 4 years and up and impaction is mainly a senior pig issue but can also develop from lack of roughage in the diet.

I don't even know if that's what it is. Like I said he's doing all the normal things he usually does. Maybe I'm just noticing things that aren't there? He is pooing. Just clumpy..

Clumpy poo could be a sign of the start of impaction or simply a sign of a need for more roughage in the diet.

I'm afraid to clean him myself. I'd rather a vet do it at least the first time, so I can see.

There are a few easy videos about how to do it on Youtube. It's really not that difficult.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
First of all, his diet needs to be improved. Pellets should be Timothy based, and not have any seed, corn, dried fruit, or other bits. Here's the link:https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html. A faulty diet, and trust me, most of us didn't know any better until we came here either, has a lot to do with proper elimination. Unlimited quality Timothy hay, water, and 1/8 cup of pellets per day, as well as good veggies you can find on the link. He might just need his diet adjusted.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yup! Petlover is right. Once you get him on a proper diet, the clumpy poo problem should clear up.

Cleolyn

Cavy Slave
I will definitely try all of that. Thanks ! It's just weird though cause as I said he has always eaten pellets like that and this is the first time this has happened. But I'm heading to the pet store to get the better ones for sure. Also should I be cleaning out the sac even if it isn't impacted? I didn't know you had to do that :s how often do you clean the sac?

Cleolyn

Cavy Slave
he eats Timothy hay daily.. for veggies I give him carrots although I've been cutting back to only a couple per day now. Lettuce.. purple and green (romaine) cucumbers and red/yel/orng bell peppers. for treatsL apples blueberries.. nectarine and pear sometimes. Watermelon only when in season. Is there anything else I should add?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Carrots should be only one/day and they should be baby carrots. I'd cut back on the cucumbers (they are mostly water). I'd cut out nectarine and pear completely as they are high in sugar.

Have you seen this? https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

The hay you buy at the store, is likely Kaytee brand. This is a low quality hay. It usually sits on the shelf so long that it dries out completely and along with it go any nutrients that would be healthy for the pig.

We recommend Kleenmamas for high quality hay and pellets.

Cleolyn

Cavy Slave
It is Kaytee brand. I'm not sure if I've seen Kleenmamas at the store. I'm in Canada not sure if we have that brand here but I'll check. As for the diet.. the carrots are baby carrots and I am def. not giving him as many anymore. What other greens do you recommend? I'll check out that link as well. Thanks !

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yeah, you're going to want to stop giving the Kaytee. Oxbow is one of the higher quality hays that they DO sell in stores. You can look for that. Kleenmamas isnt sold in stores. You have to buy it online. (broken link removed) I dont think they ship to Canada though.

I mentioned Oxbow. Oxbow Animal Health | Home That's their site. The quality of their hay is better when bought straight from them. The store-bought kind is still good but might be a little dried out from being in the store.

The greens you mentioned sound good but they should only be getting 1 cup of vege/day (lettuce included). I feed mine twice/day so 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the evening.

Green leaf and red leaf are great. Romaine is also good but should be given in moderation. Cilantro is also a good bet. Mustard greens, collared greens. Endive (curly and/or belgian)

Last edited:

Cleolyn

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks alot ! I hope he gets better :( Im really worried about him.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Kleenmama's ships to Canada now, if you send them an email requesting it. When I asked for a quote it was almost $50 for 10 lbs of pellets, so I'm sticking with Oxbow for now. I've been using Oxbow pellets for almost 8 years now and I've never had a problem with them.

ETA: Just checked my email from them and it was $43.95 (not $50) for 10 lbs. Still a bit much, since I'm paying I think $16 or $18 or 10 lbs of Oxbow.

Last edited:

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Ellisa - to clarify - you meant $50 (including shipping) to Canada. 5 lbs of hay is not $50 on its own.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Ellisa - to clarify - you meant $50 (including shipping) to Canada. 5 lbs of hay is not $50 on its own.

Yep. Sorry, when I said they will ship to Canada and then said how much I was quoted, I guess I assumed that people would know that the $50 was with shipping charge. $50 for 10 lbs of pellets before the shipping charge would be insane!

Cleolyn

Cavy Slave
I looked on Petsmart's website and apparantly they sell Oxbow there. Whether or not they have it in stock at the store near me is another question "/ I'm going to go there tomo.
Should I try the diet thing first or clean his sac out as well?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
I've seen Oxbow in PetSmarts before. I buy my Oxbow hay and pellets from my vet.

I would also clean the sac and change his diet soon. It will make him feel much better!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.