PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here...please don't be mad.

ldrew7
03-09-12, 04:42 pm
Hi everyone! I am a proud new cavy owner. It's been a whole week since I got the boys: Elvis, Dexter, and Ozzy. I did buy them from a pet store. I know it was a stupid thing to do and I have no excuse for it. They are very healthy tho and have been to the vet today to confirm they are males and that they are healthy. I have them in a large 2x4 C&C cage and I use fleece and towels as my bedding. I tried Carefresh but have thus ended that because it makes too much of a mess, plus it's very dusty. I read all about the fleece and have taken very well to it. So have the boys. Right now I have a Bengal Tiger pattern because I live in Cincinnati and I'm a big fan of the Bengals. I also got a weird camouflage pattern. They are doing very well so far. They get fresh greens everyday. Also Timothy hay all day, everyday. We still can't pick them up without a bit of a chase but they are warming up to us very quickly. I think I have read everything I can about them and hope I am doing a swell job at taking care of them. 22162Ozzy is to the left, Elvis is the black one in the back and Dexter is the albino one.

lauraj
03-09-12, 04:52 pm
cute pic. welcome. i too am new here. have four, three girls and one male

CavyMama
03-09-12, 05:07 pm
ldrew7 - a 2X4 is a bit on the small side for 3 pigs - particularly for males, as they tend to be a bit more territorial than females. It's funny that you got one white, one black and one combination of both! LOL. Also, "albino" is not a breed of guinea pig. The kind you have there would be considered a PEW (or pink-eyed white). All look to be American short-haired. They are very cute but please remember to adopt next time you are looking for a pig.

lauraj - Is your male neutered? Or are the females living separately from the male?

ldrew7
03-09-12, 05:20 pm
I know the 2x4 is on the small side. I did not anticipate getting three though. I didn't want to take only two of them because then one would be alone. I also thought that what if I took the two that weren't really bonded to each other and the third one would be heart broken. So I took all three. I hope to upgrade to a bigger cage once I am able to. What do you suggest? Thanks for the input, as well.

CavyMama
03-09-12, 05:26 pm
I know the 2x4 is on the small side. I did not anticipate getting three though. I didn't want to take only two of them because then one would be alone. I also thought that what if I took the two that weren't really bonded to each other and the third one would be heart broken. So I took all three. I hope to upgrade to a bigger cage once I am able to. What do you suggest? Thanks for the input, as well.

Well, it's a good thing there weren't 5 pigs in one cage then! LOL

The good thing about C&C cages is that they are ideally situated for upgrading and changing. You wouldn't have to increase it by very much. A 2X5 is suitable for 3 pigs.

RodentsRus
03-09-12, 05:34 pm
I love the white one..

SeeSpotSit
03-09-12, 05:49 pm
Well, it's a good thing there weren't 5 pigs in one cage then! LOL

CavyMama - Ha! Right? :)

Don't worry, a lot of people buy from a pet store before they know how many piggies there are out there who need homes. We bought one for our niece before we knew, now we have rescued 3 for ourselves (sadly, 1 already went to rainbow bridge) and 1 other as a buddy for the pet store piggie. As they grow, you'll probably want a bigger C&C. I thought the 3x2 with a loft was HUGE when I first got it, but as my 2 boars got bigger, I realized how small it really was for them. Now I have a monstrosity...but they love it, so I live with it. That little Ozzy has a very cute expression!

cavyluvr
03-09-12, 06:14 pm
Well first of all welcome to the forum and congrats on your new buddies. I bought my girls from a petstore as well so don't feel bad in my opinion and obviously not everyone is going to agree with me on this some may not like me for saying this but personally I think buying from a petstore is adopting in a way yes yes I know we should be discouraging petstores mainly petsmart from buying animals and I for one don't think petsmart should sell animal for a number of reasons but I got my girls at my local petco and they are very healthy and petco actually teams up with adoption programs for all of the animals they sell well maybe exceot for the fish but anyway. You don't know what kind of home Ozzy,Elvis and Dexter would have ended up in if you hadn't taken them home and someone else much less knowledgeable about guinea pig would have most likely only gotten one and they wouldn't have had the good life they have with you. I would say get a bigger cage when you can a 2x5 would be fine for your three or adding an upper level say like a 2x2 upperlevel would work as well. Hope you have fun with your boys.

zoenanai
03-09-12, 06:31 pm
Hi! It looks like you have a ramp in your cage. What is it made out of? I'm looking at ideas to make a piggy-friendly ramp with sides like that. Thanks. :)

nousername
03-11-12, 02:19 pm
I got my boy from a pet store too, but he has fungus infection.(it doesn't show until 2 days later...) Pet store told me to exchange him and I was like "WTF? You are not gonna kill it, right?"

CavyMama
03-11-12, 02:51 pm
I wasn't going to say anything because I didn't want to derail the thread but I couldn't let this go by without addressing it.

personally I think buying from a petstore is adopting in a way

No. It's really not like adopting in any way. The money that is received when you buy an animal at Petco, goes toward funding the breeding mills where they get their animals from. The money that is received when you adopt from a rescue or shelter, goes toward the care of other animals they take in.

yes petco actually teams up with adoption programs for all of the animals they sell

While Petco does sometimes team up with rescues and shelters, they have nothing at all to do with the animals that are up for adoption. The animals in the adoption rooms at the Petco and Petsmart are from those shelters and rescues. They have zero to do with the animals that petco or petsmart sells. The money from those adoptions goes back to the rescues and shelters in question and does not benefit Petco in any way.

I volunteer with two animal rescues that have adoption rooms at Petco and Petsmart so I know first hand what that's all about.

cavyluvr
03-14-12, 12:33 pm
CavyMama okay thanks for the info like I said that was just my opinion. I personally feel like I'm saving an animal from going to a home with a misinformed owner which is not always but most likely what will happen to any petstore animal.

Senamian
03-14-12, 01:23 pm
My first guinea was a pet store guinea. Luckily she surivived a surprise birth, for being so small and young. After her I just adopted :) Welcome to the forums, and good luck with your guineas! And remember, the bigger, the better! Guineas love space to roam and explore :)

ldrew7
03-14-12, 01:53 pm
Thank you all for the input and saying how cute my boys are. They are a roudy bunch. I do have an upper level. It's a 1x2. I'm sorry it's been a while to reply to anyone's posts but the forum didn't send me any emails to tell me there were new posts. Anywho, everything is going great even after our possible miss sex situation. See, Elvis was chasing Dexter around like crazy and rumblestrutting. He was doing it so aggressively and then tried to get on Dexter that I thought Dexter and Ozzy were girls...I even checked but I miss sexed them. They are definitely all boys after a short vet visit. I was so stressed I was going to have to get Elvis fixed and I might lose him during the surgery. Thank goodness it wasn't true. They are getting along just fine now though. No more 'fights.'

zoenanai I bought my cage from Guinea Pig Cages, Care, Shelters, Veterinarians - Guinea Pig Zone (http://www.guineapigzone.com) and when you buy a cage with a loft they provide the ramp. It is made out of coroplast just like the floor of the cage, with a piece of carpet lining it. It's pretty cool how they make it. It is reinforced with 4 bendable wires. Go to that site if you are looking for something like this. You can actually buy everything that comes in a cage package separately. I bought a 2x4 with a 1x2 loft and then bought 7 extra grids along with 7 or 8 extra connectors and a lid that fits a 2x4 cage. It was a bit pricey but totally worth it. See, I wanted a loft in mine but I also had to get a lid because we have 4 cats (only one of them really bothers them and gets on top of the cage, my boy). Everything worked out perfectly with the cage. I just might need to expand it for them at some point. I also use fleece as my bedding with towels underneath.

I got my boys from a Jack's Pets. They didn't know much about guinea pigs just by seeing the conditions that they had these little guys in. I feel that I have rescued them and I see everyone's pov on funding the breeders. I have no excuse for buying from a pet store except that I wanted these little guys from the moment I saw them. They have such a wonderful life with us. I get them out everyday to exercise in a large pen that I bought for them. They get fresh veggies 3 times a day, hay is never ending, and the correct amount of pellets everyday. I also just ordered hay and pellets from KMS Hayloft.

Wow sorry for such a long reply but I am such a proud new cavy owner!! :D

Senamian
03-14-12, 01:58 pm
How many people's cavy's actually use the loft part?? 2 I got as buddies for Honey, I was told they never used the ramp/loft. :/

ldrew7
03-14-12, 02:25 pm
Mine do all the time. They actually go to the bathroom up there more than they play there. I actually keep a hay rack up there in case one wants to munch alone. They also play on the ramp by running up and down it when they get crazy.

Senamian
03-14-12, 02:43 pm
Huh. lol I might try to see if any of mine will use ramps!

cyndyt
03-14-12, 03:08 pm
Welcome.
I hope your guine pigs live a wonderful long life with you

CavyMama
03-14-12, 05:12 pm
@CavyMama (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=12813) okay thanks for the info like I said that was just my opinion. I personally feel like I'm saving an animal from going to a home with a misinformed owner which is not always but most likely what will happen to any petstore animal.

Well, whether you buy them or a misinformed person buys them, the breeding mill will be funded either way.

Unless you plan on buying every pig from every petstore, it's inevitable that misinformed people will buy guinea pigs. All we can do is educate them so they become informed. I think I can safely say that every member here, was at one point, one of those misinformed people. But we came here, asked questions and learned from our mistakes.

We cannot control what other people do, but one thing we CAN control is where we get our pigs - i.e. from shelters or rescues and NOT from petstores.

boofp
03-14-12, 05:17 pm
Welcome your males are handsome

cavyluvr
03-15-12, 10:42 am
CavyMama okay you have your opinion I have mine. I totally agree that most petstores don't take proper care of the pets they sell and don't get them from a reputable breeder like they hsould or even better yet help out rescues by teaming up with them to get the animal adopted. I purchased my 2 girls from a petstore and yes at the time I didn't know anything about this site or c and c cages I just knew what the petstore told me and what I saw online which was mostly videos giving basically the same info that the stores give you. But I don't feel like I did the wrong thing by buying the from the petstore and I wouldn't change a thing. The only thing I would have probably done differently was to also buy the third guinea pig that was with them. At the time I didn't know that guinea pigs can get depressed from being separated from their cage mates of coures Lizzie and Marie weren't sad they had each other but I the one who was left behind probably wasn't too happy.

CavyMama
03-15-12, 10:57 am
It's not my "opinion" that buying from petstores funds breeding mills - that's a fact. Breeding mills will force a sow to breed over and over and over until she cannot produce anymore and then she is destroyed because she is no longer useful - that's not my opinion - that's a fact.

If you read carefully, my post said nothing about how the pets are cared for in-store. Many members here, bought from petstores before they knew better but once they learned what really goes on, they stopped. Now YOU know the horrors that breeding mills put guinea pigs through. The next step is yours. Continue to support the horrific conditions and barbaric practices of breeding mills (and the petstores that fund them) or choose to give a home to a pig who is in a shelter awaiting a home.

There is an overpopulation problem with guinea pigs. Breeding mills choose to contribute to that problem by creating MORE guinea pigs. Shelters and rescues choose to be part of the solution by working to find homes for those homeless pigs.

Obviously you wouldn't change a thing, your pigs are already bought and you love them, I get that. What's done is done. You can't change that you bought them but now you know the origins of where petstores get their pets. Buying from them opens a spot for a newly manufactured guinea pig from the breeding mills.

The stores see their live animals as inventory - just like they see dog food or a cat toy. Something that as an inventory number and something that needs to be restocked when supplies run low.

Every time people buy a pig from a petstore, rather than choosing to adopt a pig in a shelter or rescue, there are pigs that are euthanized for lack of space.

Choose wisely.

Senamian
03-15-12, 11:09 am
there's a time and place to argue about it (The Kitchen) but HERE is not the place. this is to welcome new people - we aren't making a good impression by arguing.

Mastershroom
03-15-12, 11:12 am
I got my second pig, Kwee, from Petsmart. There aren't any rescues or shelters within hundreds of miles of Cleveland, according to the links I've seen here on the forums, the site, and affiliate sites. And frankly, as much as I sympathize with the cause of rescuing, I just can't drop the time and money to drive from here to Michigan, which was the nearest rescue I could find.

That being said, Kwee seems to be in good health, and she and Quee (our 4-year-old pig adopted from a friend who moved away) are getting along fantastically. The way I see it, it's better for me to get one from the store and ensure that it has a good home and care than to leave it to either live in the store for the rest of its life, or get taken home by someone less suitable.

And with regards to lofts, we built a 2x4 C&C cage with a 1x2 loft, and neither Quee nor Kwee ever go upstairs. We've tried putting the food bowl and hay up there, but frankly, I think they would just starve. ;) So we ended up taking the loft off, because it made it harder to reach into the back corner of the cage underneath it and it never got used. Oh well.

Senamian
03-15-12, 11:16 am
I've just got an open top "pen" like area that is divided for females (who have most of the space) and each male to himself (2 males, 2x4 each) and floor time ^^ piggies seem to love it lol. I switch it around too - so maybe next cleaning day (friday) the boys'll be closer to the window. they popcorn more when I do this haha!

kananaka
03-15-12, 11:18 am
Hi and welcome. You boys are handsome =)

doganddisc
03-15-12, 11:29 am
Welcome :) Those are some good looking piggies!

Regarding buying from a pet store- I got my most recent guy from a pet store. I think what other users are trying to say is that, from here on out, you should avoid purchasing an animal from a pet store as doing so encourages a cycle of bad breeding. Otherwise, enjoy your piggies and love them like they deserve to be loved. They're lucky to have you :)

Senamian
03-15-12, 11:38 am
plus if you have a shelter near you, it's actually cheaper to adopt (and makes a homeless guinea happy!). most of my adopted gals were originally from pet stores (previous owner/s)

SurfingPigs
03-15-12, 11:47 am
Your pigs are so cute! Three boys must be a lot of antics and fun, I can only imagine all of the energy those three little ones have. I like the fleece too, cool choice.

Oh, and people: Lets not derail (yet another) intro thread into (yet another) discussion about why buying from a pet store is bad and, despite anyone's delusions, will never constitute adoption and will never be anything aside from a contribution to the problem. If you want to delve into the topic do a search, we've beaten it into the ground enough recently.

Senamian
03-15-12, 11:49 am
lol agreed!

don't forget your piggies'll LOL being outside in the grass come warm spring days =D

SurfingPigs
03-15-12, 11:52 am
I forgot to add: we demand (kindly ;) ) more pictures! How dare you give us only a slight peek at Ozzy.

Senamian
03-15-12, 12:26 pm
haha!!! agreed on that one ;)

rexy2011
03-15-12, 02:40 pm
I agree, i just want to talk to others who love gps

Luna8
03-15-12, 03:33 pm
Hello, and welcome to the Forum!
Lovely little pigglers you have there, bye the way! My first guinea pig was an albino, too! I have three piggies, (in present), two girls and one boy, they are all brother and sister. I have had five guinea pigs in my piggie history. And don't feel bad, alot of new cavy owners buy from pet stores, not really knowing if it's a good one or not, sense, (in my opinion), most of the ones I've gone to are really bad, they just don't know hardly at all about little critters! :ashamed: Poor fellers. So I wanted to say, I really like your cage, it's beautiful, better than mine, and you're babies look very nice and healthy too! Good, lots of veggies and Timothy hay, Timothy hay is very immportant and is a big part of a guinea pig's diet! Aw, cute names, the little sweeties! My male is named Aslan, and I call him Ozzy like you'rs is called! He is very mellow in his personallity, and loves to cuddle and explore, which is a mixture between my tw girls. One of my girls is anmed Coffee, who is very sweet, enjoys cuddling, and more of a stay at home typ piggie. My other girl is called LordBrocktree, who is very mischeviouse, nice but not exactly cuddly, and is always trying to find new places to explore! They are all around two years old, maybe older..Two to three years old, about! :). Well, if you have any questions or things your just not quite sure about, I'll always be here to help if I can, no hesitation!! :cheerful:.
Thanks for that sweet little pic, (could always use more!),
Luna:love:

ldrew7
03-16-12, 02:37 am
Here are more pics as requested!!22479224802248122482This is one of my cats, Boy, looking down at Dexter wanting to 'play'.

Senamian
03-16-12, 10:59 am
awwwww =D so cute!!! and haha love the cat ;) "If I sit up here they are bound to come out eventually!!"

MissJean
03-16-12, 11:06 am
Very cute piglets!

I'd be too nervous getting a cat with piggies. My paranoia wouldn't allow me to. :p

I'm also a bit jealous of your hay rack.

ldrew7
03-16-12, 11:14 am
We have 4 cats and only does that one bother them. As you can see to the left of him we put a pillow on top for him to lay on since he is up there so much. I just got my hay racks in the mail from the same place I ordered my cage: Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home (http://www.guineapigcages.com). I couldn't find any good ones around. I was using a litter pan as one but they kept peeing and pooing in it, go figure! Now it is used as an actual litter pan as you can see a little in the corner of the second pic. They actually jump in there and do their business. It is so cute.

CavyMama
03-16-12, 11:35 am
They are super adorable! I love the brown/white one with the ruby eyes but the black one is super cute as well. I've never had an all black one.

Senamian
03-16-12, 11:43 am
closest I have to a black one is black with a brown nose :3

ldrew7
03-19-12, 07:07 pm
Another pic. I thought this was really cute!

boofp
03-19-12, 08:08 pm
Well first of all welcome to the forum and congrats on your new buddies. I bought my girls from a petstore as well so don't feel bad in my opinion and obviously not everyone is going to agree with me on this some may not like me for saying this but personally I think buying from a petstore is adopting in a way yes yes I know we should be discouraging petstores mainly petsmart from buying animals and I for one don't think petsmart should sell animal for a number of reasons but I got my girls at my local petco and they are very healthy and petco actually teams up with adoption programs for all of the animals they sell well maybe exceot for the fish but anyway. You don't know what kind of home Ozzy,Elvis and Dexter would have ended up in if you hadn't taken them home and someone else much less knowledgeable about guinea pig would have most likely only gotten one and they wouldn't have had the good life they have with you. I would say get a bigger cage when you can a 2x5 would be fine for your three or adding an upper level say like a 2x2 upperlevel would work as well. Hope you have fun with your boys. Just wanted to say that was very well said.

Senamian
03-19-12, 10:14 pm
I love your guineas.

And your fleece lol

mufasa
03-20-12, 03:29 pm
Welcome! I'm new here, too, and I relate to your thread (and love your piggies) because I bought Mufasa at a local chain pet store and now feel guilty because I'm a huge cat and dog rescue advocate. Oh well, at least I know better now.

For the question about lofts and ramps, Mufasa has one in his cage and absolutely loves it. It's plastic, so I keep his food and water bowl up there (food bowl snaps in place), which makes cleaning easier. I've heard of piggies who hate lofts, but he jumps on his just for fun sometimes or to find the treats that I occasionally hide up there.

cavyluvr
03-20-12, 03:32 pm
boofp Thankyou:)

cavyluvr
03-20-12, 03:46 pm
CavyMama look I appreciate what you are telling me and I have been to the site petsmartcruelty.com so I know what goes on behind the scenes in petstores. But I just feel bad for the Guinea pigs that are in these petstores they are kind of caught in the middle and they need love and care from a knowledgeable guinea pig owner just like the ones in shelters do. Again I totally agree with what you are saying and like I said a week or so ago I went to the site petsmartcruelty.com and was appalled at what I saw from photos both from the breeding mill and in petsmart stores. If I ever get a third piggy I would try to adopt one but all I'm saying is that the gpigs in petstores need as much care as any other and I still feel bad for them. The only way to stop this is for every single petco or petsmart shopper to completely stop buying animals from them which is probably never going to happen but I wish it would.

Senamian
03-20-12, 04:06 pm
When I worked at the pet store here, I cleaned that back room because it was gross... We had guineas mainly come from owners who "didn't want them anymore" or "could not keep them". The other employee told me not to bother with the two 2 year old guineas that came in, because and I quote, they're "probably just snake food." Ended up, the manager said no, we sold them. together. :) If and when I ever start up a pet shop, it'll be based on rescue, rather than mills. :)

Luna8
03-20-12, 04:58 pm
Hello, and welcome to the forum!!
CavyMoma, I do see you'r opinion, about the petstores. I hate the petstores, but it's Ok, Idrew7, alot of poeple do not know and buy form petstores, but you do now! :). And Cavyluvr! I'm so glad you said that, because as guilty as I feel buying from petstores, I also feel like I am rescueing them, although the next piggy I buy I am going to look at a rescue. Speaking of which....
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-guinea-pigs/70622-please-read-help-aslan-i-wanna-get-him-spade-girl-but-have-alot-questions.html

This is a link to a thread I have, so if anyone can answere somethings, thank you!! Hope I helped,
Luna:love:.

guinnymom23
03-20-12, 06:37 pm
I have a ramp and all 5 of my girls use it, well, they have to if they want their veggies cause that's where the food bowl is! LOL but they also just go up and check it out from time to time. It's great to see the line of them heading up when breakfast or dinner is on its way!! And the noise too!! LOVE IT! going down for the older two is quite funny to watch too, they don't go down as fast as the younger ones, my son actually says they look like they're going down a slide!! not too quickly, just have their butts down...trying to get video but hard when they are still quite quick!