Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Hand Vac ..?

lovemypigs.

Cavy Slave
I ws just wondering is it easy to use a vacume or just sweep up the poops and hay? Will it pull the fleece up? And what volt should u use?

TY

LoveMyPigs.

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I use the attachment on my vacuum the one with the brush so it doesnt pull at the fleece/blanket I use.

piggypuppylove

Cavy Slave
I use a cheap 7.5 v Dirt Devil hand vac. It is perfect for vacuuming the piggy cage. It's also cordless and super easy to empty once it's full. It doesn't suck up the fleece and it's quiet enough that the piggies aren't afraid of it. I paid about $15 for it at Walmart. :)

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Cool, I have a bissel hand vac kicking around here somewhere. I think I'll drag it out and test it's suction before we get the piggies. That totally solves the "how do I do this without removing the fleece all the time" question!

scarlettraven

Cavy Slave
I just bought a Sunbeam cordless handvac @ Walmart yesterday. Was on sale for $19.
Tried it last night, it works great! Picks up poop, hay and wood pellets (from their litter pan). It's washable (the filter and canister) and it's also super quiet...when I was using my big vaccuum I think it terrified my pigs. This one they still don't like but I can tell they're not as scared.

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
I also use hand vac for my cage. I always remove my piggies from their cage and move them to a new room, however. To me it's not a matter of whether or not the sound scares them, it's that their ears are much smaller than ours and I am positive the sound of vacuum is painful to their ears. I do the same thing while they're in the car in the back seat, I adjust the sound settings so the bass is down really low and only the front speakers are playing music.
We often forget how much more sensitive our piggies ears are than ours!

But back to vacuums, I use a hand vac but will cease to do so when I get coroplast. Currently, their fleece is under their grids, which holds it down from the suction and is (usually) pretty easy. It's annoying to accidentally suck up a corner of fleece and have poopies go flying, haha.
When I get fleece and attach my cage liner to it, I will resort from twice daily vacuum patrol to twice daily fleece shake-out patrol. That protects the filter from hay better, anyways.

Hope I helped! Please don't forget about your piggy's super sensitive hearing when vacuuming!

lemonham

Cavy Slave
Oh a hand vacuum is a great thing! I asked for and got one for my 25th birthday present! It is a must-have for guinea pig care because my girls so super messy. I use it on the outside of their cage everyday because they are always figuring out a way to kick poop out and I use it each week inside the cage before I shake out the fleece.

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave
I have a Dirt Devil Scorpion, it picks everything up pretty well but runs out of charge very quickly. I would reccomend a vac with a cord or one with a longer charge.

Piggylips

Cavy Slave
Thanks Everyone!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.