Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Seems to be mites but not sure?

jasonnovak

Cavy Slave
I moved in two new pigs last November in with my remaining pig after her companion died. I did a brief quarantine and didn't see any obvious issues. This are my first new pigs in a few years.

One my new pigs is now showing signs I think may be mites - reaching back and biting her back from each site and left a small bare "V" an some small scabs. I wonder if it could be anything else though since it seems to be recent and the other two pigs don't seem to be showing similar signs? They do occasionally bite/scratch itches, but not sure it's more than normal. Maybe it just took a while and the others aren't as sensitive?

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
One my new pigs is now showing signs I think may be mites - reaching back and biting her back from each site and left a small bare "V" an some small scabs.

I'm glad you posted this question because I am hoping to get answers to my situation, which is reverse of this. Harper scratches, but never in any specific manner and never loses fur.
Is scratching always a sign of mites?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Guinea pigs scratch regularly. A lot of scratching with dandruff could mean parasites, or could mean dry skin.

The V mark, and scabs, usually does mean mites. Some pigs are more affected than others, but all that live together will need to be treated.

jasonnovak

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the confirmation, it thought that was it but just some of the other circumstances seemed a little off. I'll start Ivermectin treatment tomorrow. A little late but here's a picture

WP_000182.jpg

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the confirmation, it thought that was it but just some of the other circumstances seemed a little off. I'll start Ivermectin treatment tomorrow. A little late but here's a picture

View attachment 21857

That would look to be mites.

Good thing that you are nipping it in the bud. Even if it doesn't have mites, which I am sure he/she does, Ivermectin shouldn't hurt.

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.