Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C WooHoo! Got Bridget's Cage Built Yesterday!

jgunnoe

Cavy Slave
Hi everybody! You guys were so helpful when I had questions about my guinea pig Bridget: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-here-found-out-she-pregnant-please-help.html Just wanted to say thanks and let you all know that I found a sign store about an hour away and went and got a sheet of coroplast Friday. Yesterday, I built her new cage and got her in it! I am planning to use the extra coroplast and some cardboard to put along the sides today to get ready for the babies' arrival.

I used an extra piece of coroplast to make a 16x12 inch "kitchen." I put recycled paper bedding on the bottom of it and then layered a bit of her timothy hay ontop of that. You can see the maroon "Rollin' In The Hay Holder" on the back of the cage... That was the only way of getting hay that she had in the little cage, and when I put her in the new C&C last night, she went crazy over the hay and she ate so much of it! I guess it's just easier for her to munch on it when it's laying on the floor as opposed to having to pull strand by strand out of the holder. I think I will keep the hay holder in there, though, to ensure that she always still has fresh hay that's up off the ground. I only had to sweep up a couple stray poops this morning on the corners of the fleece. For the most part, she has been pottying in the kitchen, which is great for me!! :)

I put a towel under her pigloo, hoping it will help keep mess off of the fleece when she has the babies. But as you can see from the pictures, she is very fond of the fleece cozy I made her, so I bet she may just have the babies in there.

I was using the colored log tunnel as a ramp to her kitchen, but she didn't use it and was just hopping over the sides. So, I set it up in the middle of the cage and just cut out a square in the middle of the kitchen wall that she can just step over.

I am very open to suggestions if anybody has any ideas about the cage! I also had a question. Right now, I'm using a big I think 32 ounce water bottle which is hung on the outside of the cage over the kitchen. When the babies come, they won't be able to reach that. Plus, the metal piece is quite big. I have a smaller water bottle (like for hamsters, mice, and rats) that I plan on putting in there, too, but I guess it will need to be hung on the inside so that it can sit low enough for them to be able to reach. Any suggestions on how I can hang that in there?

DSCF0011.jpgDSCF0013.jpg

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Just a quick comment- I also have two Rollin The Hay holders for my tow bunnies, and they go mad rolling it around and eating from it! A great product!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I use a hay ball thing that came with one of my Craig's List pigs to give them thier hay when they are house. They will roll that ball up and down their outdoor enclosure. It's funny to watch all 4 piggies chasing the ball.

The cage looks good. I hope the birth goes smoothly for mom and babies!

jgunnoe

Cavy Slave
Thanks, me too. The past few days, she's just been laying around except to eat. I'm getting anxious! Hopefully not too much longer! :)

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Looks great! Your fleece is laying down so nicely at the edges :) Good luck with the delivery!!

@Inle_Rabbit I love the idea of using the ball for hay during floor time! I might need to grab one of those :)

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
cage looks awesome, I pray for your piggies and her babies, I do like the hay ball too. might have to get one for my girl

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.