Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels How is Harper's Kitchen?

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Hello!
I recently added a 2x1 kitchen to my boar's 3x3 cage. The pan is made from old Taco Bell menus, cut and scored into a box. The edge of the pan is a bit precarious, but I must add that 2-3 year old Scout is too stuck in his ways to even begin to try to figure out the ramp so the kitchen never has more than a 28 oz. Harper in it, hence the name "Harper's Kitchen". Because of that, they have two "kitchens" so Scout doesn't go hungry. They have a 2x1 lounge area under the kitchen.
I am going to change their 3x3 to a 2x4 on supports so I can have them at eye-level in my room.

How is their second level? When I make their 2x4, their kitchen will be up on grids and will need a two-grid ramp to get to it.

Does anyone have suggestions on teaching Scout to go up the ramp? The veggies on the top thing doesn't work.
Is it that you just can't teach an old pig new tricks?

Sorry for the crappy picture quality! All I have for photo-taking is my phone.

Photo on 2012-03-01 at 22.23.jpg

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
try putting him up there and letting him find his way down. then he'll know how to use the ramp.

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
try putting him up there and letting him find his way down. then he'll know how to use the ramp.
I've tried. He ended spending 3 hours up there by himself without water so I eventually picked him up and put him back on ground level.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
I hear leaving a trail of veggies going up the ramp works. Use his favorite and take Harper out so hes doesn't vacuum them up first :D

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd be a little concerned about them jumping off the second level and landing on the grid tunnel. They can really get hurt if they catch a leg in there. It looks like they'd be able to jump off on either side. I'd add higher sides around it. Guinea pigs have been known to even jump over 6".

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
I hear leaving a trail of veggies going up the ramp works. Use his favorite and take Harper out so hes doesn't vacuum them up first :D

Should I make their kitchen more secure if Scout does learn how to go up the ramp? I am afraid that since the ramp is kind of in a cramped place, one could accidentally go over the edge in a hay-induced scuffle. When I return from break, their cage is turning into a 2x4 and their second story will be much more secure, like a traditional second level on a 2x4. I am still going to use their Taco Bell pan since it is so ingenious! :D

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Should I make their kitchen more secure if Scout does learn how to go up the ramp? I am afraid that since the ramp is kind of in a cramped place, one could accidentally go over the edge in a hay-induced scuffle. When I return from break, their cage is turning into a 2x4 and their second story will be much more secure, like a traditional second level on a 2x4. I am still going to use their Taco Bell pan since it is so ingenious! :D

I really don't know because I am a new gp owner. I would assume so because upon 2nd look it looks like a fall could happen easily, and better safe then sorry. I am getting my 1st C&C cage this week sometime and decided against a loft because the 2 gp we took in are older and I am worried an accident could happen with them (I am a worry wart hehehe). It is a pretty neat idea, I never would have thought of it :cool:.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The ramp looks a bit steep to me. Maybe that's why they're not using it?

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Perhaps it is a bit too steep for old Scout. Harper scampers up it no problem, but he's 3 and a half months old. I'm making them a new one when I rearrange their room to recreate their 2x4 and it will be set up like a traditional 2x4 with a second level, so their pan will be completely encased by grids. Their ramp will also be two grids together instead of the one bent grid right now.

Thanks for the advice!

boofp

Cavy Slave
I agree that the loft area needs some grids and not be open to the bottom level as they could fall or jump. I would also put something over the plug ins so they wont chew them. other than that looks great

pinky

Cavy Slave
I agree that the loft area needs some grids and not be open to the bottom level as they could fall or jump. I would also put something over the plug ins so they wont chew them. other than that looks great

i didn't even notice the cables and plugs. A piece of coroplast between the grids and cords would protect them. Good eyes.....

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Well, their cage will be changing very, very soon if this adoption goes through! I may be adding an 8 month old boar to the herd, in which case their cage will be relocated and made into a 2x5 with a 2x1 kitchen (completely enclosed, built the traditional style).
I will post pictures if the adoption goes through! The little boar comes with one of those Midwest guinea pig habitats for quarantine and if he doesn't get along with the others.
Wish me luck!

boofp

Cavy Slave
sounds good cant wait to see pictures

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.