Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

question about enclosed cages

C

cavytopia

question about enclosed cages

I posted this question in another thread under this same topic but it was buried in with several more general questions regarding C&C cages so I thought that I would make a separate thread dealing specifically with enclosed cages as I still haven't come up with a solution:

Since we have cats we know that we will need a covered cage but would like one with a solid top rather than a cube or shelving type top. The gp cage is downstairs in our family room where the a/c and heat vents are on the ceiling. Even though the vents are closed we are concerned with drafts and don't want air blowing on our boys through a non-solid top.

Has anyone ever made a C&C cage with a solid top? Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use?

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

037.jpg 051.jpg
W

Windiain

Re: question about enclosed cages

Personally, I'd make a top out of grids (like I have now - they're pretty secure, especially when held together with twistee ties), and then maybe have another sheet of corex on top to stop drafts. In fact, a sheet of cardboard would probably be better - cheaper and does the same job. Then you just need to lift the sheet of cardboard off to open the lid for cage access. Alternatively, you could attach squares of cardboard to the individual grids so you still have the same functionality.

C

cavytopia

Re: question about enclosed cages

I've been busy over the past days acquiring the materials needed to make the C&C cage and am excited that we now have everything!!! We plan to build it this weekend over the Memorial Day holiday (I'm in the US).

I have a large remant of kitchen flooring which a local carpet store had given me -- I used a portion of it to line the guinea pig hutch my boys are in now (well, Squeaky is in it now. Tiny in a dog crate. But that's another topic!). There is such a large piece of vinyl that is being unused that I think I may use it to place atop the grids of the C&C cage to make it enclosed. I'm not sure if I'm just going to cut it to size and lay it on top of the grids or whether I'm going to try to attach it to the grids.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.