PDA

View Full Version : Whoooo Rats!

Peanutter
03-01-12, 03:19 pm
So who on here has or loves rats!? I love rats i have some as pets...
Do people want to post pics of their rats to share their cuteness?? :)

Inle_Rabbit
03-01-12, 03:27 pm
I had some rats in highschool. I liked them but the smelled quite a bit. They were very smart though and very friendly.

Frapplove
03-01-12, 03:33 pm
I only have guinea pigs and sugar gliders (the most adorable things on the planet). The other day someone posted a picture of a very adorable rat on here :) I look forward to seeing more.

CLV71
03-01-12, 03:36 pm
I have 3, all girls.

Peanutter
03-01-12, 04:06 pm
Frapplove (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/frapplove.html): Ohh sugar gliders, i really dont have any idea about what they are, ive heard about them numerous times but as we dont have them here in New Zealand im clueless to what they are or how they are like! Could i see a pic of one?? : D

CLV71 (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/clv71.html) : Oh 3 girls Awesome!

Well i have quite a few, ill post pics of mine when i get home :)

Wildcavy
03-01-12, 04:12 pm
We don't have any, but I love ratties. Any animal that can lovingly take care of 11 babies at once has me as a fan! Please do post pictures!

Peanutter
03-01-12, 04:57 pm
Inle_Rabbit (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/inle_rabbit.html) : I find the only reason rats will really smell bad is if they dont get regular cage cleans, and the type of bedding used/how oftern hammocks are changed, also their diet is a huge factor too, if they dont get a really good diet they can smell alot! They can have a small distinstive smell though, girls & boys can smell different boys normally smell a tiny bit more. Rats definitly dont compaire to mice on the smell factor, mice are sooo bad compaired haha.. :) (this wasnt a go at what you said, just saying what i know/ experienced with owning them)
Rats are awesome

And yes i will post pics soon of my lot! :)

Delaine
03-01-12, 05:20 pm
One of my nicest pets was Amy a Japanese Hooded Rat. She was so clean and smart. We left her cage door open when we were home and she could roam free. She would come when she was called and always went back to her cage to do her business. She loved to go in the car with me and would sit on my shoulder.

Amy would come into the kitchen and beg for food and store it under the couch. When I got married and took Amy with me my Mom cursed her a little because she had gone into the attic and chewed some of the Xmas decorations. Wonderful pets.

SurfingPigs
03-01-12, 05:27 pm
Ok people, 8 posts and not a single rat picture? I'm filing a formal complaint; we need pictures! Sugar gliders, too.

Rats are so cute, but we need your proof. ;)

Inle_Rabbit
03-01-12, 05:38 pm
We loved our rats. The family had between 2 and 4 rats for around 5 years but they do smell. Clean cage or not. Even the rats themselves had a bit of a smell to them. We had female rats and they were particularly smelly while in season. I had mice at one point too, the mice did smell a whole heck of a lot more than the rats ever did. Just a gross smell to mice. I had gerbils in college and they never smelled. Not once. I had house rabbits for many, many years they smell more than guinea pigs but less than rats with mice still being more smelly. lol. Despite the smell, I really really liked the rats and maybe one day I will have more when the kids are old enough.

nibbler100
03-01-12, 05:45 pm
i had a pet store feeder rat named stu... best temperd small animal iv ever owed.. he lived three years untill he got a tummer in his mouth and couldnt eat so we had to put him down.. but iv always kinda wanted anouther after him... but couldnt because i had pigs

Frapplove
03-01-12, 05:51 pm
Peanutter, we have two boys :) their names are Baby Bandit and Baby Tim (although they aren't really babies anymore)
These are all pictures of Bandit but Tim looks very similar. The first is Bandit on Kevin's (my bf) hand, the second is him sleeping in his pouch. Then his favorite thing ever, his green wheel in his travel cage. The last is him sticking his head out of my robe pocket. Kevin is mainly in charge of these guys while I am mainly in charge of the gps, but really we share them.
They are quite adorable, and sometimes I think people only invite us over because they hope we'll bring them :sarcastic However, they are nocturnal, so they are sleeping all day unless we take them out. They eat fruit and veggies and yogurt and things like mealworms/superworms and insects. (the white cup in the back of the first picture is a cup of mealworms!) They also eat insect pellets, and we have a slurry we make them following a sugar glider diet plan. Bandit is more bonded to us (well Kevin mostly) and we got Tim as a friend for Bandit but he's a little older so he's more bonded to his bud. They are full of antics, super soft, and love peeing on Kevin when he takes them out. lol

Frapplove
03-01-12, 06:32 pm
To be fair to my other loved ones, here is their most recent picture (taken a few minutes ago when I told my sister they wanted invitations to her wedding):
Note: this is only one of their three hay feeding stations. I usually put orchard grass in it, which is Frappe's favorite, so it goes quickly. And yes, she does believe she is too good to eat it off the ground and will continue to ignore the pile at her feet in favor of the few scraps left at the bottom of the ball. Shortly after this she moved to her cardboard roll with meadow hay.

Peanutter
03-01-12, 06:52 pm
OH wow they look awesome & soo cute! wish you could get some of the amazing more unique pets like that here!

Anyways so as promised here's my hoard of rats. It wont let me post all of the pics of my lot so heres a link to an album with lots of pics which does have all my lot and even some that have passed.
Most recent editions Yuko & Yuki, they are brothers
Yuko
Yuki
Coco (the goot in the back) & skittles
Ghost
Crackers

Frapplove
03-01-12, 07:01 pm
They are so cute! :D Is Ghost standing in a bowl of water with peas floating in it? :eye-poppi

boofp
03-01-12, 07:15 pm
um not a fan i don't like their tails. they are cute other than the tails

Inle_Rabbit
03-01-12, 07:29 pm
They are so cute! All mine were black or blonde hooded rats. So cute and sweet. =D

prayerdesign
03-01-12, 07:34 pm
I have rats! Granted, I've just had them for around two weeks, but I'm definitely in love already! They're just too cute and sweet and just wonderful, really. The only thing is that I haven't been able to get good pictures of them yet, they seem to be a little more difficult to photograph than guinea pigs, especially when all I have right now is my phone!

But this is Ingrid and one of the most adorable pictures I have:

Yay, rats!

Peanutter
03-01-12, 08:08 pm
yes ghost is standing on a bowl of water with peas in, we were doing some pea fishing, rats love it. In total i have 12 rats so the pics i posted really is just a few as it told me i wasnt aloud to post any more pics in that message.

prayerdesign (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/prayerdesign.html) : Oh cute pic! how many do you have? and do you know about the rat nutrition and what they should be fed, only asking because you said you only have had them for 2weeks.. (just want to make sure you know the correct info about them)

:)

prayerdesign
03-01-12, 08:22 pm
prayerdesign (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/prayerdesign.html) : Oh cute pic! how many do you have? and do you know about the rat nutrition and what they should be fed, only asking because you said you only have had them for 2weeks.. (just want to make sure you know the correct info about them)

Thanks! I have two, and I'm learning a bit about rat nutrition, though I don't know nearly as much about theirs yet as I do about the guinea pigs. I've read that the mixed food is bad for them, and that Oxbow's Regal Rat is one of the better foods to get, but that they also need a wide variety of other kinds of food. What I've been doing is letting them sample little bits of the guinea pig's veggies, and other things like crackers and some fruits and cereals. I never feed them a whole lot of any one thing besides their lab blocks, but they have been getting quite a bit of variety so far. I know they eat some meat, but I've read a lot of different opinions on that and I haven't been able to find and real consistency on that, so they haven't gotten any of that yet.

One of the more frustrating things is that I haven't been able to find a site as good as this one for rats. Do you know of any?

If you have any advice, I would be more than happy to hear it! I want to give them the best, but all the conflicting information I've seen is a little confusing. Thanks again!

CLV71
03-01-12, 08:27 pm
The Rat Shack (http://www.ratshackforum.com) and Goosemoose Pet Portal (http://www.goosemoose.com)

Kelsie
03-01-12, 08:34 pm
Your rats are beautiful. I have 3 girls. Mine are named Double Dot, Snow White and Ziggy. I've been a rattie slave for at least 20 years. I started with a little abandoned rat named Snick and my devotion grew from there. I just think they are the smartest little things. I love my guinea pigs to death but when it comes to intelligence I think rats are definitely higher up the ladder. You can show a rat how to do something once and they will remember it forever.
It's so nice to meet a fellow rat lover.:)

Peanutter
03-01-12, 08:46 pm
Awesome great too hear your willing to take advice and learn about your new editions! :)
A really good site i learnt everything i know from, and met some awesome people from is

ratclub.org (http://www.ratclub.org) theres a fourm etc on there like here but for rats, they are really helpful. (there is also goosemoose i havent really been on there much though)

Great to hear they have lab blocks, if you feed lab blocks they dont need any other type of dry mix as the lab blocks are balanced, however another thing you could do is make up you own dry mix and add a couple of lab blocks in, which is what i do as my rats are picky and like to choose. Yes the pet shop seed based mixes arent a good diet for them. If your interested in making your own dry mix there is recipes etc on rat club.
Along with the dry mix/ lab blocks... Daily they should get some sort of fruit/ veges theres lots they love too eat great guide on rat club too... they also can have pasta/rice a few times a week and yes they can have some meat a few times a week too.. mine mostly like chicken. they can have treats of things like baby food farex, yoghurt (but watch the dairy dont feed it ofter as they are latos intorrlent but can have the odd bit)

there is heaps more to learn and know register at rat club im sure youll love it there and you will learn heaps :)

Oh nice too meet you tooo, its awesome when theres people that love not hate the gorgeous ratties!

mistymu
03-02-12, 02:00 am
i have 17 rats, 10 boys and 7 girls..... 5 young boys, 5 boys over 2, 3 girls under a year and the rest of the girls are over 2....

Wildcavy
03-02-12, 06:04 am
Great ... now I want rats. We're in the middle of adopting our 5th piggie, but I'm already visualizing where we could put a rattie cage and how I'll explain it to my husband .... ;)

Peanutter
03-02-12, 05:07 pm
Hahahahahaha awesome, you should totally get some, they are amazing, im sure youll love them. Your husband will probably come round to eventually loving them too... that happens alot..
Come and join rat club fourm and then you can get more of an idea about rats, their diet, cages, health etc, then you can decide whether you really do want them or not...(Itl probably just make you want them more though) Lol :D

guineapigfied
03-02-12, 05:30 pm
i want rats BADDD i even have an avaible ferret nation :D but my mom says no..... :( darn.

Peanutter
03-02-12, 06:27 pm
awwww :( Maybe you could work on it, I did got from not allowed any to 8 that they know about, 4 they dont know about they just havent notiiced them in there! haha

Omg you have a ferret nation cage! I want one so bad!!!! actually i think the critter nation is better, But im * jealous*

In New Zealand, we cant get the amazing cages you guys can get out there..

Peanutter
03-02-12, 08:56 pm
A few more teasing cute pics :D

Coco
Coco - Modified the hammock to how she wanted it.
Bailey
Brandy
And cute little Ghost again

Enjoy the cuteness! :)

mistymu
03-03-12, 12:22 am
You are missing one from there - a gorgeous wee Champagne Hood would look great in with your lot :P

suzilovespiggie
03-03-12, 01:23 am
My daughter had rats most of her growing up years until she married. Great pets and awesome critters. Look up ratsrule.com

CLV71
03-03-12, 03:39 am
Omg you have a ferret nation cage! I want one so bad!!!! actually i think the critter nation is better, But im * jealous*

I have a critter nation cage. http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv314/koko1234_2009/100_1105.jpg

Peanutter
03-03-12, 04:57 am
Oh that loooks soooooooo awesome! must be alot easier to clean and access compared too mine! Lol

Peanutter
03-03-12, 04:58 am
You are missing one from there - a gorgeous wee Champagne Hood would look great in with your lot :P

You would say that wouldnt you... ;)

Peanutter
03-03-12, 05:16 am
For Mistymu, LOOK i do already have once champy hood :p

Louise
Ghost & Louise
Thelma
Skittles & Ghost in background
Tyler & coco

mistymu
03-03-12, 06:19 am
but thats a girl, a boy champ would be much better!!!!

Peanutter
03-03-12, 06:22 am
Oh really?? haha

Wildcavy
03-03-12, 08:11 am
Hahahahahaha awesome, you should totally get some, they are amazing, im sure youll love them. Your husband will probably come round to eventually loving them too... that happens alot..
Come and join rat club fourm and then you can get more of an idea about rats, their diet, cages, health etc, then you can decide whether you really do want them or not...(Itl probably just make you want them more though) Lol :D

So I told the husband that I now want ratties and showed him the pictures here. He said they're adorable (loves the pea fishing!) and if only we had enough room, he'd be open to the idea of having a couple of ratties. He's totally nuts for piggies. So I guess I've accomplished step one ... my family are going to think I'm crazy. They're keen on the piggies but I'm not sure what will happen if I say, yeah, we've added ratties to the mix!

(p.s., we actually have the space. I just have to re-arrange the C&C cages -- they're currently one level and so we have about 9x3 of c&c in the living room right now.)

Peanutter
03-03-12, 04:57 pm
hahahaha awesome!
No excuses once you have made the room then it would be a simple
"Look theres room here, we can get some now" ;)

Great he already thinks they are cute! and well the crazy part you mentioned, us rat clubbers get that alot, we actually admit we are crazy, because thats just normal haha

Exciting!

suzilovespiggie
03-17-12, 06:50 am
Check out ratsrule.com cold sores - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&redir_esc=&client=ms-android-verizon&source=android-browser-type&v=133247963&qsubts=1331980767761&q=cold+sores&v=133247963)

Great pictures of the rats and sugar gliders!

I have no rats now but my daughter had them. They make great pets. love rats!

mmas4
03-17-12, 08:10 am
I have a rat. I had 2 a week ago but Hershey had to be put to sleep. Here are pictures!
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/ctam12345/rats/rasts009-1.jpg

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/ctam12345/rats/animals009.jpg

Thanks! I have two, and I'm learning a bit about rat nutrition, though I don't know nearly as much about theirs yet as I do about the guinea pigs. I've read that the mixed food is bad for them, and that Oxbow's Regal Rat is one of the better foods to get, but that they also need a wide variety of other kinds of food. What I've been doing is letting them sample little bits of the guinea pig's veggies, and other things like crackers and some fruits and cereals. I never feed them a whole lot of any one thing besides their lab blocks, but they have been getting quite a bit of variety so far. I know they eat some meat, but I've read a lot of different opinions on that and I haven't been able to find and real consistency on that, so they haven't gotten any of that yet.

One of the more frustrating things is that I haven't been able to find a site as good as this one for rats. Do you know of any?

Fancy rats is a great forum
Fancy Rats • Index page (http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/)

As far as diet I have a different opinion than most people (in the US anyway). IMO the best diet is homemade as its closer to a rats natural diet, less processed and provides variety. Another plus is you can scatter feed which gives the rats exercise and keeps them busy but I think Oxbow is small enough to be scatter fed. Fancy rats has lots more info on diet. If you chose to go the homemade route you need to do some research first. If a homemade diet is not for you then you already chose a great lab block. Be sure to include extras for variety. Lots of grains and veggies but they can also have smaller amounts of fruits, proteins, seeds and nuts.

mistymu
03-21-12, 03:33 am
also rats love things like bones - pork, chicken, chops etc.... and no it wont make them attack rats and it is also good for their teeth (for the gnawing down)....

jowasaurus
03-21-12, 07:05 am
This is DD! She was the first[and so far, only] rat I have ever had the privilege of taking care of. I'm not sure of her entire story, but she and her 2 "sisters" were left in a shoebox in the parking lot of the PETCO I work at. They were both fancy rats and she was the only hairless. [She was even completely hairless too. so cute] The sad part of her story is that we believe she was abandoned because of a mammary tumor she had growing on her back right leg. Her sisters were totally healthy though and after they both got checked by a vet, were actually taken home to live with one of the employees [She is also a vet tech and is the one who was there when they were found with me]. She stayed at the story for about a week and a half and I was so torn over whether or not to take her home with me. My bf was already upset that I now had TWO guinea pigs and would hate the rat [since then, I now have five guinea pigs and he loves them-- sucker!]. I casually slid it into a conversation while I knew he wasn't actually listening, he said yes, and I brought her home the next day! haha. He was pretty upset, but he got over it.
Anyways, I didn't really have the necessary housing so I improvised with a store bought cage with ladders and hammocks so she could climb and climb. She was still pretty agile when we first got home. The first vet she went to said it was "benign" and shouldn't grow too much, but she was wrong. I ended up taking her to my own vet pretty often. It seemed like it would just grow so fast over night and then stay like that for a few days. She started getting this dead tissue on her face which was removed and healed beautifully, but the tumor just got worse and within about a month it seemed to attack itself her her actual leg and some muscles in her abdomen.

Here she is about 2 days before she sadly had to be put to rest. The vet had given me the option every time that I visited to just put her to sleep or keep going. She seemed to be running and eating and would lick my fingers, so I kept putting it off. One day she had this almost pimple looking thing on the side of the tumor and when it popped, almost like black sludge oozed from it. I took her to see the doctors and when they gave her back to me, they had even wrapped her up with her favorite toy she used to drag around and sleep with. She's buried in my back yard [even though the vet said it was illegal] and I say hello to her every day when I leave the house. She lived here with me for almost three whole months.

I decided to name her DD because that's how large her "breasts" were when the mammary tumor was growing. Cynical? No. She liked joking about it, it made her feel more safe. RIP DD. <3

Peanutter
03-21-12, 08:24 pm
awwwe, sad you lost her...

Unfortunitly with female rats mammary tumour lumps are very very common.. oftern they are Benin and Non Cancerous but they do grow very very fast.

I had a girl die a few months ago and she had mammary tumours which ended up spreading to other parts of her body resulting in her getting a brain tumour before she died.

My oldest girl, had surgery yesterday for a lump which she had removed & spay. it was rather large as it had the chance to grow while i was trying to get rid of a resp infection she got just after i found the lump which was about the size of a pea, that grew to a decent large size lump in 3-4weeks.

Another thing i will mention is, if you or you vet had known your best chances with mammary tumours is to have lump removed and get her spayed at the same time. Spaying will prevent OR slow down lump growth hugely! mammary lump growth is fueled by hormones so spaying really does help.

jowasaurus
03-21-12, 08:49 pm
Yeah, my vet is actually a very popular vet in this area for doing rat spay and neuters. After I had got her though, it was already attached to her leg before it really became an option, so he could have taken it and spayed her but she would have lost a leg and some tissue surrounding her butt, making her almost constantly leaking-he said. =/ She was so nice and I'm glad to have known her

Peanutter
03-21-12, 08:53 pm
My girls lump was up near her arm pit, so it was very close to the nerves etc and she managed to get it out without damaging any nerves etc.. stitiching up was also a bit of a challenge but she managed to do it... I have a thead for crackers surgery which has pics of her lump & surgery site... you will be able to see it was a pretty decent size. (Dont look at the link if you are squimish) lol

Ratclub.org And RANZ &bull; View topic - Crackers had her lump removed today.. *pics of lump* (http://ratclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17303)

kittymalone
03-21-12, 09:14 pm
Ok, so I've been thinking about getting rats for a little while now and this thread has pushed me into the YES catagory. I have been looking on craiglsit and there are now in my area to adopt so I think I might just buy some feeder rats so they get a chance at life. What does everyone thik of this? Also, how should I ask for them at the store? I'd like to get a few that have been living together but if I let on at the petstore that they will be pets, they might have an issue with that. Is there a difference between rats sold as feeders and rats sold as pets?

Peanutter
03-21-12, 09:21 pm
wow awesome we tipped you into a yes :D LOL

Uhmmm i would have no idea how feeder rats would be as pets as we do not really have them we only have pet rats available.

I dont think i would be keen on the idea of having feeder rats as pets because they are proberly just breed with anything to get a rat... the feeder rat could end up with bad genetic's, health problems etc...

Personally i would look for a good pet from a rescue, or find a pet store which sells rats which have been breed for being pets, good genetic's & health.