Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick First Vet visit tomorrow URI?

britgal98579

Cavy Slave
We got our two piggies a month ago from a pet store, ( I didn't know anybetter) and I noticed one of them sneezing on and off and pawing at her nose right after we got her. I did not think much of it. However Sunday night my daughter noticed her making a funny sound. I did not recognize it from her regular sounds. She seemed a little horse and I summed it up to all her squeeking. Last night she was not eating much. She loves carrots and lettuce but took a bite or two and walked off back to her corner. She is very social but bit my son when he put his hand in the cage. Not hard just a nip. I put some fresh hay in for her and she nibbled away. I also notice when she is resting she is breathing heavily. Her sides have rapid movement, but today she is eating a little bit better but def. not her normal and drinking her water. I have made her a vet appt. for tomorrow at 3:30 but do I need to seperate her from the other guinea. They were in the same cage when I bought them, but Ginger is showing no signs of illness. They are both 5 months old.........If this is a URI what is the cost I am looking at for the antibiotic. I want to be prepared. Thanks!

turcoworld

Cavy Slave
is there anything we can give or not give to keep our piggies from getting a Uri? ???

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No. Maybe if they ever figure out how humans can keep from getting colds, they'll get around to figuring out how to keep pigs from getting URIs.

britgal98579

Cavy Slave
I have 4 children at home and this is seeming hopeless right now keeping these piggies healthy , since it seems they get this so easily! I talked with them last night to make sure and not hold Ginger and Shadow if they are sick. Still wondering if I should seperate them. Getting mixed advice when googling:(

britgal98579

Cavy Slave
Urgent!!

I posted last night about our sick Guinea pig. I just walked by her and she was moving earlier today but she was layng in the corner almost on her side. I petted her and she did not move eyes slightly closed. I started talking to her and she did sit up but I have not seen her lay this way. I have an appointment for her at 3:30 this afternoon. Should I try get in earlier or would the time not make much of a difference? I hope she is not dying! I bought these for my kids and didn't realize how much I would become attatched to them! She is normally an energetic girl and will come up to us when we open the cage. Maybe I am overreacting, i just don't know:(

britgal98579

Cavy Slave
Re: Urgent!!

I am pacific time 10:40 here.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave

How old is she? Has she lost weight? What symptoms are being exhibited that make you think she is sick?

Is she just staying hunched up in a spot, or is your concern only that she seemed to be sleeping in an oddly deep way?

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave

I hope a mod can merge this with your other thread so that all the info on this pig/advice given can be found in one spot.

I read your other post, and saw some other questions. I don't like to separate herd members unless the sick pig needs to be alone to eat/drink/otherwise be monitored; my vets, recommended by our local rescues, agree with that. By the time we find a pig sick, the germs have been spread thoroughly, so separation seems a moot point. So, concisely, I wouldn't separate at this point.

You should start weighing her at the same time daily to monitor her weight loss. Big drops in weight can be serious.

How is her appetite? If she hasn't eaten since yesterday, I would make a pellet slurry and get to handfeeding. Some pigs aren't fans, and you will have to force feed her. Pigs need to eat to survive.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Please do not start a new thread on the same sick pig -- it makes it very difficult to follow what's going on, and you'll actually get less information. If someone hasn't answered, it's because they haven't been online or don't know the answer, not because they didn't see the post.

britgal98579

Cavy Slave
I am sorry! New here and still trying to navigate my way around these boards.

I have no way of weighing her at home. She did eat a little bit of oranges from me this morning. But has no interest in the carrots or lettuce that are her favorites. She is nibbling on hay but breathing is still rapid. I am not an expert on Guinea pigs. Only had her a month and am still learning. I just know that something is wrong and that is why I'll be taking her to the vet.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Keep offering her food, she needs it. Pellets and hay are the best if she isn't interested in anything. If she is sitting in one spot and puffed up, I wouldn't wait 4 hours to get her cared for. If she seems ok but "off," then 4 hours should be fine. You are taking her to an exotics vet, yes?

From here on out you ought to purchase a kitchen scale (digital is best) and start weighing your pigs weekly. If I have a pig I suspect is ill, I weigh daily. Logging weights is a great way to pick up on illness early. Best of luck, I hope the vet has some answers for you.

EDIT: Also, if you get antibiotics from the vet, I recommend you pick up some probiotics (plain acidophilus from the drug store is great) to give her 2 hours after each antibiotic administration.

britgal98579

Cavy Slave
I called around some different vets and did ask if they had a vet that see's Guinea pigs. I found only one in my area and that is where I am taking her. But they do not just specialize in small animals. With the probiotics will she eat that on her own mixed with pellets or do I use a syringe? Thanks you for the advice on the kitchen scale. I will pick one up today:) I really do appreciate everyone's advice.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Some of them like probiotics, some don't. If she'll eat it from your hand, or if it's given with a dropper, that's fine. Otherwise, sprinkled on veggies will work, too.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
If you choose to get a liquid probiotic check to make sure it isn't lactose-based. I use a soy-based probiotic, and though soy has shown to be problematic in abundance, it is better to offer this than a dairy-based product.

britgal98579

Cavy Slave
Back from the Vet. It is a URI. She gave her a shot of baytril and sent some home with me. She stressed the importance of Vitamin c and ordered some capsules from oxbow that she said would be in tomorrow. She also said a lot of the food marketed for guiniea pigs is crap! So gave me a read out on how much protein and fiber per serving should be in their food. she recommended Mazuri to be good.......Shadow weighed 1lb 5oz and she would like to see her at 1lb 8oz. I am just concerned about getting the medicine down her. I think I will need my husbands help as it makes me kind of nervous. I do have a question. She said treats like hay should be limited to about 2tbs daily. I thought they were to have an unlimited supply available to them daily.

jadzia

Cavy Slave
I do have a question. She said treats like hay should be limited to about 2tbs daily. I thought they were to have an unlimited supply available to them daily.

You are correct. Hay is not a "treat". Hay is integral and should make up the main part of their diet. What type of hay are you feeding them?

britgal98579

Cavy Slave
Timothy hay....she gave me a handout from the exotic companion medicine book: Limit treats to no more than 1-2 tbs/24 hour period:timothy hay afalfa ubes, small amt green veggies, carrot tops and apples. I thought the hay suggestion was odd. Went against everything I have read.

jadzia

Cavy Slave
No, that is definitely a bad suggestion! Timothy hay is the suggested type of hay for feeding, and it should be fed freely. Veggies are next in line of importance, and pellets should be your smallest daily portion of food.

What was she saying to feed as the main food source?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Many veterinary text books are out of date, and that's certainly one of them. I know you had to look around for a vet, but I think I'd keep looking. Also, recommend this site and Guinea Lynx to her -- maybe she'll be willing to educate herself.

britgal98579

Cavy Slave
No, that is definitely a bad suggestion! Timothy hay is the suggested type of hay for feeding, and it should be fed freely. Veggies are next in line of importance, and pellets should be your smallest daily portion of food.

What was she saying to feed as the main food source?

She did say dark greens are very important and suggested kale and cabbage along with carrots. Pellets are the best but to not get pellets with nuts and seeds. She did mention veggies as being critical in their diet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.