Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing a 4 month old guinea pig - new here

quinn

Cavy Slave
IMG_2504.jpgIMG_2492.jpg

hi, new here! We have 3 guinea pigs, 2 are obvious Y shaped girls, but not sure about this boy/girl. More dimpled on top and not sure if a boy or girl? Any help? We are new to guinea pigs and were told we got 3 girls, but not sure?? :)

Scintie

Cavy Slave
Looks female. My female has that little bump also.

quinn

Cavy Slave
Thanks! We thought female, but she looks a bit different than the other 2. Since we are new at this thought we'd ask:)

Scintie

Cavy Slave
Some females are just more swollen
up there.

piggypuppylove

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Definitely female;)

Gigabyte

Cavy Slave
Totally female.

Honour

Cavy Slave
Female :) As all of the other answers have already told you xD

quinn

Cavy Slave
Sorry for one more question :)! So from the photos it looks like Twilight is a girl. Her cage mate is same age - around 4 months. Her cage mate is named Quinn and is a peruvian. Quinn keeps chasing Twilight around and shaking her butt and making purring noises. Could they both be girls and just that Quinn is in her cycle? I attached photo of Quinn and to the untrained eye again looks kind of like a Y shape, but we are new guinea pig owners. Just don't want to house them together is you guys thing they might be girl/boy? Thanks again!! I tried to look at the pictures on the internet but they seem more obvious boy to me. Here is Quinn who is doing the chasing. Quinn also seems to get more urine marks on her belly, but maybe that is just because she is a peruvian and Twilight is a short hair. So Quinn - a girl or boy? (different guinea pig than the one pictured above - this is the cage mate 4 mos. too) IMG_2508.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg

Thanks again for all your help - just trying to avoid a surprise litter! :)

Roo99

Cavy Slave
They both look female to me as well. I am a novice as well, but that looks like a female.. check out that link on Guinea Lynx... I looked there, and from what I can tell your pigs are both females.

Rhyue

Cavy Slave
They both look female. At 4 months if they were male they should be getting some obvious testicles. Do any of them feel like they've got a decent sized pair of growths back there?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They look the same to me, and they're both females.

One or the other of them is undoubtedly in heat when the chasing occurs. It happens roughly every two weeks and lasts for a day or so.

quinn

Cavy Slave
Thanks again! Yay, so we don't have to worry about all the chasing going on!

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
If you push gently on both sides of the opening, a penis will come out if it's a boy. This looks like a girl to me, tho'.
BTW, welcome to the forum! There's a lot of info here, and I'm learning a lot, and becoming a better piggie mom all the time. I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.