Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Sow with large, clumpy poop -- impaction possible in sow?

piggiepleaser

Cavy Slave
Hi, all. One of our sows passed two large (prob a little less than 1/4 cup each), misshapen, but not super smushy droppings, today. Is it possible for a sow to have impaction (Both the vet & I have checked even though we adopted her -- she IS a sow)?

I can't seem to find a precedence for this on Guinea Lynx or elsewhere. She has been not wanting to be held for more than a few minutes over the last few days. Sometimes she whines when she poops or pees, and sometimes she doesn't. She's still eating and drinking. She's breathing heavier than usual, keeping to her pigloo more often, and has been sneezing quite a bit (no other URI symptoms).

I am taking her to the vet tomorrow, but he is not an exotic vet (but is very up front if he's not knowledgeable about something). So, I figured any extra information I can take with me will only be helpful.

Please say a prayer for Penny in the mean time, and let me know if you've heard of impaction in sows. Thanks.

cococheezer

Cavy Slave
I hope this helps, guinea lynx says this - Anal impaction is most often encountered in older boars, unusual in females. Occasionally young boars may develop an impaction.
It is apparently unusually but not unheard of. At least that's what I gather from that statement.
I will be praying for Penny, I wish I could be more help. Praying the vet visit helps, keep us updated.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Piggiepleaser, is there anyway you can get her to an exotic vet? If she does have an URI she really needs to be seen. She will need to be put on meds that are just for pigs. guinea pigs can not have any of the cillians. On guinealynx there is a list of the meds they can take. Also check for a blockage or a stone. Have you seen any blood in her pee? If the vet she is going to see does not know can he refer you to an exotic vet?
Keep up posted on her vet visit.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A fourth of a cup is a HUGE amount of poop to pass at one time. And impaction in sows occurs very rarely.

Is there an exotic vet near you? Or would your vet do a phone consultation with an exotic vet before treating her? She obviously needs treatment for the URI, but something else is going on with her GI tract, and I'm not sure I'd trust that to someone who doesn't regularly see guinea pigs.

piggiepleaser

Cavy Slave
Thanks to all of you for your responses. Penny's poop is back to normal, and she is still eating & drinking as normal. She is on Bactrim (Sulfatrim is Bactrim, right?) for a UTI to cover that ground. She had been sneezing for a few days prior to the vet visit, and I forgot to tell him. Today she has a wet sneeze that sounds congested, even though there's no "wet" nose, etc. I called the vet, and he said Bactrim is one of the approved meds for a URI anyway, so to stay with the Bactrim and if she isn't seeming better by tomorrow or Saturday to call in, and we would augment with Batril.

He's not an exotics vet, but he did know all about Bactrim & Batril, and he even successfully treated our girls in the fall with Ivermectin for lice. However, I've read on this forum that Batril is typically used for older pigs, and Penny is 3 1/2. Have any of your exotics vets prescribe Bactrim for an adult piggie URI?

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Baytril is typically used on older pigs because prolonged use has been shown to inhibit growth in younger cavies. Bactrim is pretty common for UTI and depending on the bug can work just fine for URIs as well. Baytril is just a bit stronger and would be a good switch if Bactrim doesn't do the trick with her sneezing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.