PDA

View Full Version : Want to get a Guniea pig

dmdonaldson13
02-18-12, 02:00 am
So I want to get a guinea pig and have been trying to find info. and I started making my cage with the grids , I want to no what i should put under it I dont want coroplast because its to expesive. I am thinking about getting fleece but what should i put under it? how long will a fleece last me before i have to throw it away and does washing it realling get the stink away? What would happen if I forgot to clean the cages for a few days if it was pretty dirty?

lovemypigs.
02-18-12, 02:16 am
under fleece you should put newspaper and then towrls the fleese on top fleece will last a LONG time w.. well when you wash it put some vinegar and soap in with it then do a wash with no soap no nothing just to rinse it out..

prayerdesign
02-18-12, 02:27 am
I'm new to using fleece and C&C cages altogether - I've only had mine set up for a little over a month - but what I do is I have a plastic shower curtain on the carpet, then a couple of layers of towels, then the fleece. I've heard shower curtain's referred to as "poor man's coroplast," and that seems to be true so far. It was only a couple of dollars, and the carpet's absolutely fine!

I think most people use their fleece for at least a year or so. After you wash it, there's no smell to the fleece. I wash mine with a cup of vinegar, and everything smells all right when it comes out!

TCTrun
02-18-12, 02:42 am
That's good that you found grids - are they 9x9 squares across? If they have fewer than 9x9, then the spaces are too big. Are you sure that coroplast is too expensive? I can drive 10 min and get a huge 8ftx4ft sheet (more than you will need) for $9. Coroplast shouldn't be too expensive, although it may be difficult to find in your area. Could you tell us where you are? Something general (e.g., Northern Iowa) will suffice. We may be able to help you find some. Fleece is excellent! If you choose to get fleece, you will need to buy something absorbent to put under the fleece. Examples are towels, Uhaul furniture pads made from 100% cotton, or 100% cotton mattress pads. Fleece should last you months if not years. You simply wash it with unscented detergent and some white vinegar. The smell will go away completely after washing. With fleece and a reasonably sized cage (a 2x3, 2x4, or 2x5 C&C cage), you will not have to change the fleece but once every 5 to 7 dasys. You will, however, have to sweep up the poops once or twice per day. It only takes about 2 min. If you are planning on getting a guinea pig, I have two other pieces of advice:
1) Adopt rather than buying from a pet store. I bought one of my pigs from a pet store, and she was pregnant!
2) Get two! Guinea pigs do SO much better in pairs or trios since they are very social animals.

I hope this helps.

bpatters
02-18-12, 07:48 am
dmdonaldson, you can put anything waterproof under the fleece, it doesn't have to be coroplast. Some people have used plastic tablecloths, shower curtains, tarps (they're much harder to clean), etc.

How much fleece stinks depends a lot on how many pigs you have and how big the cage is. Small cages will stink very quickly and have to be changed every couple of days. Large cages, unless there's a herd of pigs in them, may go a week if you put litter boxes in where they pee and poop the most.

I wouldn't put newspaper in the cage at all -- it gets gross and yucky when it's peed on. Towels (or mattress pads or U-haul pads) form the absorbent layer to go under the fleece, and newspaper isn't needed.

I also wouldn't recommend that you start out with fleece. For one thing, most people who make C&C cages wind up rebuilding them several times before they get them the way they want them, and if you cut your fleece to fit your first cage and then change it, you'll be buying more fleece very quickly. Also, it takes more money to get started with fleece, although it's cheaper in the long run unless you have to use a laundromat for the laundry.

If you "forget" to clean the cage (and they need cleaning EVERY day, sometimes twice a day), your pigs may wind up with urinary tract infections and/or bumblefoot. Either one is expensive to treat. And I don't think you'll forget. You may ignore the cage, but it will be hard to forget to do it.

I hope you'll adopt a guinea pig from a rescue or shelter, or find someone who's had an accidental litter and is rehoming them. Pet store pigs are bred and kept in horrible conditions. They are often ill and/or have parasites, and you may wind up with an expensive vet bill before you've even had a chance to really get to know your pigs.

Ditto to whoever said you need to consider getting two pigs. They're social animals, and they definitely do better with a friend.

Be sure your parents are on board with these pigs. Vet care for them can be hard to find, and is expensive. Dog and cat vets get very little training in caring for guinea pigs, and you may have to travel quite a distance to find someone who can care for them. If you're worried about the expense of coroplast, maybe you should consider a pet that doesn't cost as much for care.

dmdonaldson13
02-18-12, 03:32 pm
I'm new to using fleece and C&C cages altogether - I've only had mine set up for a little over a month - but what I do is I have a plastic shower curtain on the carpet, then a couple of layers of towels, then the fleece. I've heard shower curtain's referred to as "poor man's coroplast," and that seems to be true so far. It was only a couple of dollars, and the carpet's absolutely fine!

I think most people use their fleece for at least a year or so. After you wash it, there's no smell to the fleece. I wash mine with a cup of vinegar, and everything smells all right when it comes out!

how do u wash it with vinegar in the washing machine? wont the towels under it get bad? what if you didnt use towles

Sl and S
02-18-12, 03:49 pm
the the pee would just sit under the chloroplast and not get absorbed by anything.

bpatters
02-18-12, 03:57 pm
Why don't you read the first several posts on "The Fleece Project" thread on the bedding forum, and then come back and ask specific questions if you have some? There's a lot of good information there, it's well organized, and you can find out a LOT about fleece from reading it.

Sl and S
02-18-12, 04:01 pm
the the pee would just sit under the chloroplast and not get absorbed by anything.
i mean fleece not coroplast