Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions 4th day

Pinkguinea

Cavy Slave
I got a new friend for Shelly about a week ago. After quarantine, I tried introducing them. I put them Ina play pin with a sheet underneath, and at first they didn't do anything, then Shelly started nipping at the new one (Quin). After about 45 minutes of Shelly mildly bulling Quin, I took them out and put them in separate cages next to each other. After two more days of doing that, I put them in the bath tub together (no water) and Shelly was worse than ever! She was nipping, teeth chattering, chasing, and sniffing poor Quin. Quin was squeeling her head off, and I thought Shelly was going to bite her! Any tips?

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Let it happen. Introductions can be nerve racking, but as long as there is no blood, let them be. If Shelly incessantly bullies Quin and doesn't let her eat or drink then consider separating. However, what you are seeing is normal behavior of pigs establishing dominance. Read over the normal signs of dominance here: Guinea Pigs Social Life

Each time you separate them, they are going to start the process all over again and become more and more stressed.

Pinkguinea

Cavy Slave
How long should I keep them together at a time?

TCTrun

Cavy Slave
I introduced a new female to my pair of females. I wanted so much to take her out because they were so rude to her - bullying her, head butting her, chasing her away, etc. I'm glad I didn't - The new sow was obviously not respecting the hierchy. It took a few weeks, but now all three get along very well. The best thing you can do is put them together after cleaning the cage extremely well so that there are no piggy scents left (you can use water/vinegar). Clean EVERYTHING and rearrange it a little. Make sure there are at least two water bottles, food dishes, and places to hide. It's also helpful if the hiding places have >1 entrance/exit so a pig doesn't feel trapped. Keep them together at all times unless there is extreme fighting and injuries are sustained. I agree with SurfingPigs that, "Each time you separate them, they are going to start the process all over again and become more and more stressed."

Best of luck to you and your pigs!

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
When I introduced my boars I put them together in a neutral play area for one hour to be sure things were going to be okay, then put them in their cage. I only had to separate once due to illness, but repeated the same process for reintroductions. They have been together since, displaying typical dominance behaviors. I will not separate again unless blood is drawn or illness occurs. SurfingPigs is right, don't keep separating and reintroducing, not only does it cause stress on you and them but it gets you absolutely nowhere. My process worked great for me, give it a try. :)

Pinkguinea

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! I will deffinately keep them together. How long do you think it will take? Do I have to watch them 24/7?

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
If it's only about a week ago that you got the new piggie, then you should still be in quarantine. You just don't want your excitement over your new pet to accidentally lead to something unfortunate.

At the point of introductions, you should be ready to put them together on-going. The link that SurfingPigs provided is great info. So, be ready for really sticking it out... introductions outside of the cage and then hopefully transitions into a fully clean and rearranged "new" cage (ie, no longer looks and smells like one piggie's). You'll want to do this when you have time to constantly monitor them. So if you have the weekend free, give it a go on a Saturday morning. You can safely monitor their progress over a few days and not worry about leaving them unattended before things are fully settled.

Best of luck!

TCTrun

Cavy Slave
Click on the link that SurfingPigs posted - It tells you exactly what to do! If they are fine for a few hours, then it's probably safe to leave them, for example, if you need to sleep. You obviously can't just sit there 24/7.

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! I will deffinately keep them together. How long do you think it will take? Do I have to watch them 24/7?

I was worried about this too and no, you don't. You should get a pretty good feel after that first initial hour as to how they'll get along. Follow the guidance that everyone else has given you regarding amounts of water bottles and everything and let them do their thing. I planned my intros on a day off. I put them together in the morning while I cut up their veggies for the week, this way I could watch them and the tv and do my chores at the same time lol. Then I had the rest of the day to check on them off and on. By the time I went to bed and work the next day I was confident they would be fine. :) And no one can really say how long it'll take. It's different depending on the pigs and personalities. I was told it could take days, weeks, or months. Be patient!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.