Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast is this right?

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) found this on the forum will is be good to use for the base?

it says its

2000mm/79"
1000mm/39.5"
2000mm/39.5"

Height
Width
Depth

what would be the biggest sized cage i could make? and how many pigs would that be okay for?

Attachments

hahahha.png

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can make the cage as large as you want -- you just have to tape the pieces of correx together to fit the bottom of the cage. It gives you the length and width in both millimeters and inches.

My only hesitation about that is that it's only 2 mm. thick. I think almost everyone here has bought 4 mm. thickness, which is twice as thick. The thinner stuff should work ok for the bottom of the cage, but I have no idea whether it's stiff enough to use for the walls.

pinky

Cavy Slave
If you use one piece for a single cage and use 14" grids around the perimeter, you can make a 2x5 with shorter sides of about 4.5". I have three females in a 2x5 right now and it's cozy for them. I wouldn't have more than three males in a 2x5.

stacy97006

Cavy Slave
I bought a 4x8 ft sheet of coroplast yesterday for my cage and it was 4mm thick. I couldnt imagine having anything thinner and having it hold up. I had a smaller cage at first and when I expanded I taped 2 sheets together but it wasnt holding up as well as I wanted to so I found a wonderful company listed on here and got the new sheet put in there yesterday. Make sure you get it big enough to go up the sides to keep the hay in. My sides were low with the old piece and hay would get all over the carpet.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My only hesitation about that is that it's only 2 mm. thick. I think almost everyone here has bought 4 mm. thickness, which is twice as thick. The thinner stuff should work ok for the bottom of the cage, but I have no idea whether it's stiff enough to use for the walls.
I read somewhere, can't remember where though, that someone said that the 2mm was actually a bit sturdier than the 4mm because the flutes are closer together. Do you think that's true?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I doubt it, Fizzlepop. I haven't seen any 2 mm coroplast, but I've seen 4 mm and 10 mm, and the 10 mm is WAY stronger than the 4 mm. I'd expect the 4 mm to be correspondingly stronger than the 2 mm.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I doubt it, Fizzlepop. I haven't seen any 2 mm coroplast, but I've seen 4 mm and 10 mm, and the 10 mm is WAY stronger than the 4 mm. I'd expect the 4 mm to be correspondingly stronger than the 2 mm.
OK. I was kinda wondering about that... Thanks for saying, now I won't have Soph getting a flimsier coroplast. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.