Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New and have a question!!

britgal98579

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone:)

My name is Samantha , I am married with 4 children ages 5-15 and a month ago we got 2 4 month old Guinea pigs. Shadow is an Abyssinian and Ginger is a short haired. They are both female but my 5 and 7 year old boys named them! Our family gets so much enjoyment out of them! However I am a little concerned because I have not found a good answer for my question through google searching, but came across this board:). I have noticed both of them that the color of their fur is changing. Shadow is black and white and arond his face on his color is getting brownish/blondish patches. Ginger is brown and white, but I noticed on her rump that part of the brown is changing to more of a tan color. Is this normal or is there a health problem? Thank you!

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
Welcome! From what I have heard it's normal. Some do it, and other's don't. I guess it's just like how we age from an infant to an adult, our hair changes colors.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! We'd love to see some pigtures of your babies!!

I'm not sure, I'd think their colors are changing b/c they are young and growing, so as new hair grows it is changing color, etc. I'm sure someone w/ more knowledge would know more. Good luck! :)

P.S. I have a pig named Ginger too!! :-D

BrowniesMemory

Cavy Slave
I've noticed that on one of my two year old boars too. He's dark brown and white, but I've noticed that his brown patches are getting "peppered" with white hairs.

britgal98579

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! I was getting worried. I'll try post pictures soon:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.