Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello all

Scintie

Cavy Slave
Hello! I'm Scintie. I'm pretty new to GP parenting. I have a male and a female which I've had for a little over a month. Sparkles is an abyssinian tan/orangish and white. Torro is I assume just an American GP. Black with a big tan mark on one side.

Just thought I'd say hi:)

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
Hi Scintie. Welcome to the forum.

Do you have pigtures of your piggies? We'd love to see them.

Scintie

Cavy Slave
Not very good pics, but here they are. :)

Attachments

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328905011.241417.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328905032.829036.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328905058.681924.jpg

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
Oh, they are precious. They sure look like little babies. Do you know how old they are?

I noticed in the second picture they are sitting together. Do they visit each other often like this?

Scintie

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure. I got them from a pet store (bad mistake and I know never to do that again, sparkles just isn't very healthy like) They did tell me torro was a baby baby. As of now they are caged together, won't be by tonight though. I caged them together as I had no idea one was a male (I was told they were both females) they got along great at first but now torro is kinda mean to sparkles so I have extended a store bought cage for sparkles temporarily till I can build another c&c. Sparkles doesn't move around alot, torro on the other hand is extremely active so I gave him the bigger cage.
But when I do have them out on my bed they seem to like to cuddle.

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
I'm glad to hear you are seperating them. Unfortunately pet stores are notoriously horrible at properly determining a GPs gender, especially when they are so young.

The best advise I can offer you is to not let them interact with each other, even if you're supervising. It literally only takes a few seconds for a female to end up pregnant, so you'd be better off keeping them apart.

Believe it or not, a boy guinea pig can get a girl pregnant at ONLY 3 weeks old.

Scintie

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info! Good to know. I'm definitely not ready to be raising little babies.

Scintie

Cavy Slave
Just a little edit, I looked again and torro looks more like a female now. I'm going to wait till thy are older to fully decide.

Do females have tiny 'nubs' also? Sparkles doesn't seem to have one but, "torro" does have a Y shape

As they have been fighting I'm def going to keep them seperate for now, but would like to know what I have.

Last edited:

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
This link is to another really good site for Guinea Pig information.

Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig

I hope it helps. I don't have any experience in this area, so I don't really have any advice to offer, but I want you to get the help that you need so that you will know FOR SURE what you have.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.