Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Thoughts on coroplast & fleece

KD006

Cavy Slave
I have finaly accumulated all the bits to finish my C&C cage, and am working out how to do the coro and fleece pad('s).

Right now I have enough fleece for two liners and a matress pad I think enough to make one liner. I called half a dozen U-haul places and none of them have the blue pads and are telling me will be about 3 weeks before they get in any stock.

Cage is cubes 28 x 56 inches (2 x 4) and I had the sign shop cut a sheet to 38 x 66 so I could have 5" sides, now this is looking like it would be too high so I am thinking of cutting 2" off long and short sides so it will be 4" (at least I got it oversized so I have the option, hard to stretch it if it was short) So the question is should I do 3" or 4" sides as I may return to aspen some time in the future?

On the fleece some people have said to make it so it goes up and over the coroplast, humm how is that done with 60" material with out a lot of waste cutoff material? So I was thinking of makeing a flat liner and make a pocket across the underside where I could use one of the cutoff parts of the 4x8' sheet as streachers on the long length to keep the fleece laying flat in the bottom. That would give a 5" wide piece longways front and back to keep the pad from bunching up.

I had been looking for my utility knife since yesterday afternoon and just found it so I may as well put some thought into this before cutting anything, the old measure twice / cut once theory.

So anyones thoughts on coroplast side hight and my idea on keeping the fleece in place ( of course I could also add some velcro to the coroplast and fleece as an alternative)

lucas

Cavy Slave
i would use 6'' for height of coroplast and put the fleece over the edge of the coroplast where it is going up. then clip it down with those paper clips that you pinch to open. (sorry i don't know what they are called).

captaincavymom

Cavy Slave
then clip it down with those paper clips that you pinch to open. (sorry i don't know what they are called).

They are called binder clips. Love them!

lucas

Cavy Slave
thanks for the help :)

KD006

Cavy Slave
@ lucas I had the sheet cut to 66 x 38 so 5" is the max I can go, it just barely fir in my jeep wrangler sliding it between the rollbar and hardtop, 2" wider would not have fit at all. Also right now the water bottles are going through the 4th grid up which seems to be a comfortable hight for cinamon so that would be 4.5" from the bottom.

@ captaincavymom is the reason for cliping the fleece over the corplast to discorage chewing?

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
I got a full sheet of coroplast and made a 2x5 with 10 inch sides. The length of the front is only 6 inches so they aren't in a coroplast prison. But it is MUCH better to have high sides because they are messy! I had to magic eraser the wall behind the cage all the time! And hay fell out of the holes and created mass piles behind it.

I think younger pigs tend to chew the coroplast, at least with my two that was the case. If you put extra chew sticks and whatnot that would help too. I do not clip my fleece over the sides anymore since my pigs have grown out of burrowing under it, and chewing the coro. Thankfully :)

A liner without sides is MUCH easier to make, and you can get binder edging (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/C-Line-34441...office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1328903875&sr=1-1) and slide it over the edges for permanent use.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.