Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives I need help finding something to replace coroplast

Vbs_babygirl

Cavy Slave
Hi! I have a pet store cage at the moment that I bought when I adopted my guinea pig, V. He gets plenty of floor time and is fine. But we are trying to get another guinea pig and to do that, instead of buying another pet store cage, we wanted to try out the C&C cages. However, we aren't happy with the costs of coroplast. We can get the grids and such, but we need something to substitute for coroplast.

I heard people have used a shower curtain, but I dunno how I feel about it. I don't want my guinea pigs to chew on it and get sick or something. I need something that will hold the bottom and something to hold the bedding. I am not fond of fleece, even though it looks nice. : )

Any suggestions?

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can use vinyl flooring rolls from Home Depot. They won't be as strong as coroplast but will work.

There are so many sign stores in your area. You could ask them if they have any that are misprinted. They might give to you for free. Or look for old political signs.

Coroplast only costs me $10 for a 4x8 ft sheet.

Frapplove

Cavy Slave
Every place I went had no idea what Coroplast was, so I don't have it either, but nor do I have a shower curtain. It's actually something that can be used for insulation I think-but don't worry, nothing like that pink fuzzy stuff!! It's very light, soft to walk on, only costs a few dollars, and completely waterproof/non-carcinogenic/hypoallergenic. It forms a complete seal between the carpet and the cage. Over it I have several towels, and on top of that, fleece. I clipped/zip-tied the fleece high up to the grids around the inside walls of the cage so they can't see it or chew on it. It's worked great so far! So the moral of my story, there are lots of options out there! Think about how your cage design will be-for instance, my cage is only one level, so even though my waterproofing is not solid like Coroplast or cardboard, it works for me. :eek:ptimist:

captaincavymom

Cavy Slave
The thickness of the coroplast makes a difference. I got a white 4x8ft 4mm sheet for 15 dollars. Not bad for jersey. Thicker sheets were significantly more expensive. Prior to that, as a temporary fix I used a vinyl tablecloth and zip-tied rolled towels to the interior grid base for stability and safety. I didn't want the cage to shift and leave a dangerous opening for him to fall through.

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
coroplast only cost me like 20 dollars for a 2x5 cage. its also known as corrugated plastic, at some places i had to say "you know that stuff they use for campaign signs? except in way bigger form?" (i thought that was way funny, I'm 16 and i tough a 50 year old man something about his job he should have already known XD )
iv heard about people using shower curtains and what not. i also know theirs a place on hear where you can buy a C&C cage, but there really expensive kinda like store bought cages are.

Vbs_babygirl

Cavy Slave
Thank you all! We made our C&C cage. We used a rubber mat and line the cage with fleece to make it a bit warmer. It's awesome! We made two connected cages with the grids. My partner put it together. And then she got me another guinea pig for Valentines Day today. I am so happy!

Vbs_babygirl

Cavy Slave
P2110050.jpg This is our cage : D V is enjoying it

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Glad you found something, if you are anything like me you're going to have a spas attack on cleaning day when the shavings stick to the fleece like mad!

Vbs_babygirl

Cavy Slave
Yeah they are already sticking because my male guinea pig on the right likes to dig and fling the bedding everywhere Lol : ) It's all right. I like taking care of them and so if it takes me a bit to clean, it's fine with me. <3

dayi56

Cavy Slave
Does the rubber mat work well?

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Can you post a picture of the rubber mat you used? Or a link to it?

I use C&C but always looking for a quick and easy alternative for their "vacation" cage when we go out of town.
I was thinking of the vinyl from home depot but would love more details about yours.

Thanks!

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I went to the local fabric store and bought thick vinyl, which comes in many colors, and it was even on the clearance rack. Then I went to the local hardware store, had a $20 sheet of plywood cut to size, and wrapped it in the vinyl. Taa-daa! Piggie cage base. You can always have sides cut from the same sheet of plywood, screw it all together, and then add the vinyl. I found my coroplast at a local sign shop. It was $15 for a full 4ft by 8ft sheet. Others have said they got theirs for less. Good luck!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
$15 for a 4x8 sheet of coroplast is actually a great price.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
$15 for a 4x8 sheet of coroplast is actually a great price.

Thanks, Bpatters! I would call around to local sign shops for prices on coroplast. If you tell them you are using it for a "critter cage" (bunnies, rats, piggies, whatever) it might be cheaper than if the store owner thinks you are making your own signs with it.:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.