PDA

View Full Version : newbie

melkory
02-08-12, 09:36 pm
I have been searching for options for my 'guinea pigs'...they've been sharing a small space (you know those starter kits you get from the pet store), and we love them, and found this site with some cool ideas for habitats. Do have a question, tho...I see a lot of these habitats made with those wire cube shelving. AWESOME! my question is about what is on the 'floor' of the habitat. several blue...or covered with fabric. How do you maintain a habitat like this?

We got out two from the pound...fell in love with them when I heard them talking to each other. Funny how they know when I'm in the fridge...they just talk up a storm.

thanks for the advise...

CavyMama
02-08-12, 10:32 pm
I have been searching for options for my 'guinea pigs'...they've been sharing a small space (you know those starter kits you get from the pet store), and we love them, and found this site with some cool ideas for habitats. Do have a question, tho...I see a lot of these habitats made with those wire cube shelving. AWESOME! my question is about what is on the 'floor' of the habitat. several blue...or covered with fabric. How do you maintain a habitat like this?

We got out two from the pound...fell in love with them when I heard them talking to each other. Funny how they know when I'm in the fridge...they just talk up a storm.

thanks for the advise...

Most people use coroplast with the grids. It's a corogated plastic that can be easily scored and cut to become the floor and walls of the C&C cage. It's easy to maintain. It easily wipes down when you clean the cage. The fabric you see on some of the cages is fleece. When prepared properly before first use, it wicks moisture away from the surface, keeping the cage (and piggies) dry.

melkory
02-09-12, 05:20 am
ok...so this coroplast...where do I find it? one of the pictures I found has 'litter boxes'. is it easy to litter train these animals? what a mess their clean up is-I end up bathing the pigs when I clean the cage! how do you 'prepare the fleece' to repel moisture? thanks...

Most people use coroplast with the grids. It's a corogated plastic that can be easily scored and cut to become the floor and walls of the C&C cage. It's easy to maintain. It easily wipes down when you clean the cage. The fabric you see on some of the cages is fleece. When prepared properly before first use, it wicks moisture away from the surface, keeping the cage (and piggies) dry.

jowasaurus
02-09-12, 08:06 am
There's a link at the top of the page that says "Find Coroplast" that you might be able to find distributers. Some hardware stores or sign shops carry coroplast too. You just have to google or call around and ask.

Litter training guinea pigs is nearly impossible. But placing a large litter box in their cage that has a hanging hay rack is a good idea. They tend to poop and pee where they sleep and eat.

If you buy fleece for the bottom of your cage, you have to wash it AT LEAST 3 times. Wash with a regular detergant but when you dry it, do NOT use a dryer sheet. Just throw it in and turn it on. Underneath the fleece you need something like a few towels or mattress pads to absorb any urine that wicks through the fleece

bpatters
02-09-12, 09:17 am
Melkory, don't bathe the pigs when you clean the cage -- that's way too often to bathe them. If they're really dirty, just wipe their rear ends with a damp washcloth. Also, keeping their hair trimmed so it doesn't drag through the waste will help.

You can google "coroplast" and the name of your city and get some hits. Sabic Polymershapes has a store locator on its site, and their prices are usually really reasonable. Or you can call sign shops and ask. Sometimes they'll lower the price if they know you aren't going to use it for signs, or they'll give you misprinted signs for free.

CavyMama
02-09-12, 09:11 pm
ok...so this coroplast...where do I find it? one of the pictures I found has 'litter boxes'. is it easy to litter train these animals? what a mess their clean up is-I end up bathing the pigs when I clean the cage! how do you 'prepare the fleece' to repel moisture? thanks...

Ditto what the others have said - you can use the "Find coroplast" link at the top of the home page. You might also contact local sign stores to find some.

Guinea pigs kind of have a mind of their own when it comes to litter training but use fleece can help with the cleanup of said poos.

Speaking of fleece, this is the Fleece Project. It gives loads of info about how to prepare the fleece before use. http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html

As for bathing, if you bathe them every time you clean the cage (I assume that's weekly), BP is right, that's far too often and can result in dried out skin for the pigs. Unless they are particularly dirty for some reason, there's no need to bathe them at all. They are pretty good at bathing themselves.

melkory
02-09-12, 09:59 pm
everyone has been so helpful. wish I had found this site last year when we got our pigs. am planning on spending a little money on them this weekend...feel a grand craft project about to happen. I am excited...hopefully they will enjoy their new habitat.

decorating is my passion...ON TO THE FLEECE!

Ditto what the others have said - you can use the "Find coroplast" link at the top of the home page. You might also contact local sign stores to find some.

Guinea pigs kind of have a mind of their own when it comes to litter training but use fleece can help with the cleanup of said poos.

Speaking of fleece, this is the Fleece Project. It gives loads of info about how to prepare the fleece before use. http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html

As for bathing, if you bathe them every time you clean the cage (I assume that's weekly), BP is right, that's far too often and can result in dried out skin for the pigs. Unless they are particularly dirty for some reason, there's no need to bathe them at all. They are pretty good at bathing themselves.

CavyMama
02-09-12, 10:11 pm
everyone has been so helpful. wish I had found this site last year when we got our pigs. am planning on spending a little money on them this weekend...feel a grand craft project about to happen. I am excited...hopefully they will enjoy their new habitat.

decorating is my passion...ON TO THE FLEECE!

I hear ya on wishing I had found this site for the first pig. He was literally my "guinea pig" guinea pig and I made all my rookie mistakes with him. Just about all the no-nos we talk about, are ones that I made, not knowing any better.

Glad to know you are a crafty type person. I am not and have to settle for oooh'ing and aaah'ing at all the creative stuff people come up with for their pigs.