Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

lego?

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Just wondering - is lego safe for guinea pigs? My hedgehog has a hidey house I contructed with lego which he loves to sleep and hide in. Would guinea pigs chew and swalow it though?

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
I'm not sure. Legos are made from a fairly brittle plastic that splinter if broken. There is a chance that if the pigs chew on them they could splinter. They then could swallow the splinter and possibly perforate their stomach or intestine.

I wouldn't suggest legos. They seem to hard, what if they break a tooth?

dagwellismypigy said:
On the cavy cages toys page, they show a piggy that has legos in their cage. https://guineapigcages.com/toys.htm

I took a look at that in the link. Those aren't legos...I don't know what they are called but I think they are made out of the more flexible plastic that those waffle houses are made out of.

Well I think I'll scrap the idea - better to be safe than sorry!

Yeah, those are definately not legos. My son has about a million lego all over the house. I wouldn't put them in the cage mainly because of the sharp edges.

What about the big ones for toddlers that are rounded off?

The toddler ones may be okay. I would sacrifice one and break it to see how it breaks and if it splinters. No sharp splinters = safe for the pigs.

Sounds good - don't have any myself, but I can look out for some.

Look in Goodwill, thrift stores, garage sales. They are expensive new but super cheap second hand.

I would give them a good soak in some vinegar and water if you get them second hand (which I see as the best option). Kids tend to drool and slobber on legos.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.