PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here!!

Sophiepiggie
01-31-12, 08:35 pm
Well hello every one! Well lets see I got a pretty little piggie two weeks ago. And I love her to death already :heart: :). So I am going to get her a cage mate in two days(don't worry no breeding I'm getting another sow.) my question was what do I need to do to introduce my girls?
Thank you in advance!!

mac73
01-31-12, 08:42 pm
Howdy and Welcome! I just did my first introduction this weekend. Research and follow the rules...everything will be great! Good luck!

bpatters
01-31-12, 08:42 pm
You need to quarantine the new one for three weeks unless you're getting her from a rescue that has already quarantined her. That's to protect your first pig, and your pocketbook. If the new one is sick or has mites, you'll wind up having to pay for treatment for both of them.

And while you're quarantining her, read Guinea Pigs Social Life (http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm) -- the Introductions section is about halfway down.

Welcome to the forum, and we'd love to see pictures of your piggies.

guinnymom23
01-31-12, 08:47 pm
First, welcome to this wonderful forum, you will find tons of very helpful and useful tools and great support!
If you're going to be putting them in the cage together, make sure it's big enough for both of them and you really should have them introduced on neutral ground - i.e., floor time area. Everytime I've introduced a new piggie, I put them in their playpen to meet each other, watch how they interact and clean out the cage, put new bedding, fleece, fresh hay, pellets, water etc, then I put the new piggie in the cage first, get her scent mixed with theirs...it seems to work for me, I have four - two bonded from the start, added a third in October and our final girl just this month...all of them are doing great, I have them in a 2x6 main and 2x2 loft, plenty of room for all.

Sophiepiggie
01-31-12, 09:00 pm
2008020081Thats my pretty sophie!! And i am going to adopt the other piggy from thew same place i adopted sophie:)

guinnymom23
01-31-12, 09:02 pm
too cute!!!!

Sophiepiggie
01-31-12, 09:06 pm
Why thank you guinnymom23! I would agree :D

Hhbean
02-01-12, 12:05 am
Hi and welcome! She is adorable!

Sophiepiggie
02-01-12, 12:07 am
Thank you so much!

OverunByPiggies
02-01-12, 01:14 am
I agree!!! She's a beauty!!! One of my piggies, Freddy, is also agreeing. The other girl your getting, is she from the same litter? That would make it easy to socialize them together.

Sophiepiggie
02-01-12, 01:44 am
I don't think so but I'm gonna talk to the people and ask if there quarantined and I'm gonna give them floor time together before I put them in the same cage. I also have a 3x2 C&C cage, is that big enough?

CavyMama
02-01-12, 02:02 am
A 2X3 is a little small for two pigs. A 2X3 is the minimum for one pig. 21 days quarantine is recommended. After the 21 days, an intro on neutral territory is in order.

kittymalone
02-01-12, 06:49 am
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on Sophie, she is adorable! I have a Sophie, too and an Isabelle and a soon-to-be Amelia. Welcome!

pinky
02-01-12, 08:12 am
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on Sophie, she is adorable! I have a Sophie, too and an Isabelle and a soon-to-be Amelia. Welcome!

Did you make your decision about just getting one?

Crystalkate
02-01-12, 09:14 am
aawww she is beautiful!!! She looks like an oreo! hmmm that sounds really good about right now.

kittymalone
02-01-12, 03:24 pm
Not quite yet. I think I might adopt both :)

Sophiepiggie
02-03-12, 03:29 pm
Well I got Sophie's cage mate. They were housed together at the place I got them from.so they were reunited.

OverunByPiggies
02-04-12, 12:28 am
I'm so happy for you!! And them for being able to be reunited! They probably were up all night gossiping!! I still think they are litter mates. Twins!! What are you going to name this one?

CavyMama
02-04-12, 02:17 am
They are SOOO adorable and it's amazing that they got to be reunited! What a great story!

One recommendation, toss that pellet mix in the picture. Pigs need plain pellets otherwise they will eat only the colored bits and not get the stuff they really need.

Sophiepiggie
02-04-12, 02:29 pm
Yeah right now I. Just taking the pellets out and feed them the pellets but I'm gonna get them just pellets. And her name is checkers :)

Luna8
02-04-12, 02:54 pm
Welcom to the forum, so great to have you here!!!
I just LOVE your little piggies!:love: Their both just beatiful!! What great names, Sophie and Checkers, I love it! I'm so happy for you! And for them! It's just so amazing that they got to get reunited!!!!

So glad you could join us,
Luna:cheerful:

Eimear
02-04-12, 03:59 pm
dont forget to introduce the new pellets to them gradually, your piggies are very beautiful :)