Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi! Long time owner, currently without

ExcavtorBoy

Cavy Slave
When I met the lady who has become my wife of now twenty years, she had just lost a pig, so my first gift to her was a new pig. I was unable to find the one she described, so I finally found a local pet store (remember those, the ones that actually CARED about the animals) who sent me to a breeder.

I took her to the breeder an told her to pick out any pig she wanted. $5 later and we were out of there with Pumpkin, a little sow all of about 8 weeks old.

We made some mistakes:

"Dear, she has a zit on her belly!"
"That is a nipple, don't pull on it!" (Hey, guys don't know! (and I had never had a piglet)

Our next pig came from a store at the mall. They had their pigs out in large MDF rolling trays, about 18" tall and 6' on a side so they could get to the middle and kids could not grab them. One of the nicer pet store setups... Honeybunch was the most laid back boar, all he wanted was his nose scritched, he fell asleep in my hoodie's hand tube, so home he went.

Boar and a sow, hmmm, yep, piglets...

We had also acquired three kittens (another story) so when I heard horrible pig noises one day I figured our 6 month old kitten had gotten ahold of a piglet. Dreading what i was going to see, I ran into the room. The cage Pumpkin and the babies was in was a typical "litter box" cage, with the lid open. The piglets were in one corner, the kitten was in the opposite corner. (Honeybunch had been sent to bachelor's quarters while the kids grew up). In the middle was the MADDEST momma guinea pig you have ever seen and she was telling that cat that it did not belong in her cage, or near her kittens, or possibly, even on this planet.

I rescued that cat, who grew to 17 pounds and was still very respectful of guinea pigs, and we had pigs for about ten years after that.

Now that our youngest is old enough to be gentle with a pig we are considering getting back into it. We live on five acres, so we have a nice wild front lawn they can graze on (suitably caged, but it will feel free to them) a garden for veggies and an orchard for apple tree branches (I have to prune it anyway).

I wish C&C had been around before, we kept everyone clean and healthy, but I can see where this will make it easier.

kirsty91

Cavy Slave
Wow that sounds great! You can tell that even though it was your wifes love that you have come to love them too. petfinder.com is a great site to look for shelter pigs and you may even find someone here who is close by to you that needs to re-home theirs. Good luck with getting another and post pigtures once you get them!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

I do hope you'll be willing to consider adopting pigs from a rescue or shelter this time around. There are many homeless pigs out there who'd love to have a forever home. If you have trouble finding them, post the name of the city you're closest to, and we'll help you find some.

Last edited:

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! Once you find your piggies, please post pigtures!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.