Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Owner! Help please?

GimmeGuineas92

Cavy Slave
Hi, I adopted my 2-yr-old guinea (Shadow) from a friend about 2 weeks ago. I've read some books and done some online research to make sure I take good care of him.
Recently Shadow's been making a strange noise that's like a chewing/sniffing sound. I've heard before that "chattering" noise means an angry pig. I listened to chattering online and the sound he's making isn't exactly chattering, but it is similar and quieter. Also, it's not just when I reach in the cage. Sometimes I hear him doing it from inside his igloo hideaway. He is reluctant to be picked up and held, but once he's settled on my lap or against my shoulder he makes soft squeaking noises (which I've read mean happy).
Is there something I'm doing wrong? Help please!

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Can you video tape it and put in online here so we can hear it? and see you cutie

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
We have one pig that chatters his teeth a little when he is sitting on our laps. Not an angry chatter. We figured out that he wanted to chew on something. So we give him a chew stick, he grabs it, and no more chatter noise.

I'd love to see your piggy, too! Welcome to the forum!

GimmeGuineas92

Cavy Slave
[video=youtube;1tlRryfVYUU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tlRryfVYUU&feature=plcp&context=C337d1b8U DOEgsToPDskIJpUdhFdgFQrVBoB0Mi-xw[/video]

Sorry it took so long! Here's Shadow making that noise I was talking about. Like I said, it's really quiet so I'm afraid you won't be able to hear it completely in the video, but at least you'll get to see how he's been acting around me.

I'd appreciate any advice or info, thanks for trying to help me out!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't hear a thing, or see anything wrong with that pig's behavior. Is he doing something different than he usually does?

GimmeGuineas92

Cavy Slave
Well that's good if you think he looks okay! Like I said the sound was too quiet to come up in the video, but it just sounds like he's chewing on something crunchy or clicking his teeth together...
I've only had one other guinea pig in my life and it was when I was really little, so I'm just not used to what's considered normal guinea pig behavior. I just want to make sure I'm not scaring the little guy or doing something to make him angry.
But if everything looks normal that's a huge relief to me! Thanks! lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.