Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Finding a cage

melissaferrell

Cavy Slave
Hello friends!
I am going to be getting a guinea pig for my 15 year old daughter and I have been going through every post and forum to get an idea of what kind of cage I should get. I am not sure of the size of the cage at the pet store and I am sure it's going to be too small for our liitle girl! We already have her named, Reese Cup unless Nicole wants to change the name. She is a 2 toned brown.

So anyway...the cage at the pet store is 87 dollars and comes with lots of goodies but I dont want to spend this much if it's not going to be "big enough". I have thought about getting a little fence and putting it in the living room just to let her out during the day so she feels a little bit of freedom and get some exercise. I have looked at the C&C cages and my husband is bound and determined that it's much cheaper to just get the cage at the pet store.

What do you think?

ally112087

Cavy Slave
I bought the store cage because at the time that is all I knew of. Then I found this website and found out how wrong I was with buying that cage. You could easily make a cage that is enough room for your little piggies and would not be too much money.

Look at the C&C cages. There are pictures on my profile of what my cage use to look like and now what my new cage looks like. I hope this helps. I am glad you found this site

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
Making a C&C cage is considerable cheaper and you can make a much larger cage. You can go to k-mart or walmart and buy a box of grids. It's usually just a little more than $20 and it will be enough for the cage and more. You can buy a thing of zip ties for a few dollars at walmart as well. And you can go to a local sign shop and buy a piece of coroplast for the base (they're normally 4 by 8 feet) for only $10-15.

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
Tell your hubby he’s wrong…LOL

A C&C cage is the way to go. It has plenty of space and is CHEAPER. I promise!!

A box of cubes at K-mart is about $20…Here’s the link:

Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com

This set has 23 grids and 26 connectors if I remember correctly. That’s MORE then enough to make a 2x3 or 2x4 for your new piggy. If you run out of connectors you can use zip-ties, which are VERY cheap.

Coroplast can usually be bought from a sign shop for $15-$25 depending on who you ask. And you’ll ONLY need one 4’x8’ sheet.

My cage is large enough that I needed 2 sheets. One store sold it to me for $14, but they only had one black piece. I found another black sheet at a different store for $20. You really just have to shop around. Tell the sign store you don’t want anything printed on it…Just the plain 4’x8’ sheet.

You can make a cage that is double, triple, and possibly quadruple the size of a pet store cage for about $40. It is so easy!!!

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
Also, if you would consider getting the guinea pig a friend. They're very social creatures and are much happier in pairs than when alone.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think your husband needs to price pet store cages and C&C cages and see for himself that C&C are much cheaper, roomier, and easier to reconfigure.

Why not call around and get the prices of all the C&C components and compare those to the prices in the pet store?

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

melissaferrell

Cavy Slave
Thank you soooo much, Catahoula! You're wonderful! I really appreciate the help! I will post pics once I have it all built!

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
C & C really is the way to go! Before we knew any better we bought our niece her piggie and cage at the pet store and really could have saved a TON of money building a C & C (which we did for her anyway for Christmas) and rescuing her a pig instead of buying one (which we also did as a friend to "Oliver" for Christmas :))

I think people also need to remember Plastic Companies instead of sign shops - Here in San Diego we have a plastics company that sold me my coroplast for $15 but the sign shop wanted to sell me the same thing for $50. So I would always check for a plastic company first (since they probably supply the sign shop).

pinky

Cavy Slave
Try Craigslist, Goodwill, Salvation Army Stores, Freecycle and thrift shops for grids. You might get them cheaper or even for free. Good luck with the cage. I know you'll be happy with it.

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
Yes, DON'T waste your money on a pet store cage!! I didn't know how much room piggies needed when I got mine. Between the money I wasted on the pet store cage and the money I spend on his Midwest Habitat, I could have gotten TWO Midwest Habitats! I personally didn't do a C&C, I used to have the grids for a storage shelf which fell apart every other day so I'm terrified of the things now lol, but if I wasn't afraid of them I would probably have built one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.