Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mouth Brown Saliva?

cammie0530

Cavy Slave
For some reason my cavy likes to eat paper towels I have just recently found out(I try not to let him) is this weird? But my main concern is the bite marks are ringed with brown. Could it be something he ate, a residue maybe?

betty

Cavy Slave
Is your guinea pig is eating the sheets of paper towell or the cardboard roll and how he gets access to it?

The brown colour could be from dried blood, but before I scare you, let's see what a more experienced person has to say : )

cammie0530

Cavy Slave
When he explores he usually sits still and we place him on a few paper towels in case he has to go to the bathroom. He eats the paper towels itself.

betty

Cavy Slave
Okay, thanks for the information. I don't think paper towel is not good for his tummy, can you put him on an old towell instead?

Is acting normal, and is he eating/drinking/pooping as usual? If any of these things have changed it is a sign that he is very sick. Hopefully someone else will come along with more information for you.

cammie0530

Cavy Slave
He is not eating his carrot off course he had one earlier today and may not be hungry. I will try to get an old, used towel and put him on it. I will also try to coax him to drink a little bit of water. Thanks for the info.

cammie0530

Cavy Slave
I am starting to freak out. I got him some water but he spit it out and the water came out brown and dirty. But I cant get to a vet right now.

betty

Cavy Slave
Oh no, it sounds as if he has a sore in his mouth. He needs to see a vet immediately. Guinea pigs don't last long without food and water. When is the soonest you can get him to an exotic vet?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "I got him some water but he spit it out."

Is he drinking from a water bottle, or a bowl, or are you giving it to him with a syringe?

I'm not too worried about the brown color, because their mouths always have food goop in them. But I am worried about the not eating and the water running out of his mouth.

How much paper towel did he eat?

Is he your only pig, or are there others?

What happens if you give him one of his favorite foods? Will he eat it?

Gigabyte

Cavy Slave
Sometimes it's the food in their mouths, guinea pigs can be pretty gross about that.
Either way, it may be time to see the vet.

cammie0530

Cavy Slave
He is not eating carrots but he had one about two hours earlier. He did not eat much paper towel. I got a syringe and squirted a bit of water in his mouth and it ran out of his mouth brown. He is not one to accept water hand given to him. He is my only pig.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't worry about it. Mine eat paper plates on a fairly regular basis and have never had any trouble. Just keep an eye on him, and if he doesn't eat sometime in the next few hours, then we can worry.

But, if your problem with a vet is that you can't afford, then you need to start building a vet fund so that if your pig really does have an emergency, you'll have the money on hand to take him. Part of being a responsible pet owner is having the ability to care for them when they need vet care. And many times when they need a vet, they're in pain, so that they suffer if you don't get them there.

Let us know how he does.

Gigabyte

Cavy Slave
Yeah, @bpatters is right. When I least expected it, my GP got sick and I didn't have the tests to treat him. Yeah, he died, and he would have anyway, but I don't know if it was cancer or infection of what.
So just remember that emergency fund.

cammie0530

Cavy Slave
Okay so today his food bowl looks a little depleted but not by much. I don't think it is much to worry about at this point. He seems okay. He also has nibbled on a carrot. I am glad he is okay :) Love him to peices.

pinky

Cavy Slave
What else are you feeding him? Is he getting hay? Hay should have unlimited grass hay. Carrots are loaded with sugar so one baby carrot a day is all he should get. Refer to the diet and nutrition charts on the site to find out more about what are good choices.

cammie0530

Cavy Slave
He gets timothy hay every day and a guinea pig mix of seeds and pellets

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No seeds for guinea pigs. He should just have a plain pellet, nothing else in it. If he's less than six months old, he needs alfalfa pellets. If he's older, he needs timothy pellets.

And he needs hay all the time -- he shouldn't ever be without it.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It would be extremely unusual and a sign that something wasn't quite right if one of my pigs did not instantly consume a carrot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.