Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

GP keeps chewing on grids. Please Help!

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
My two lady guinea pigs, Momo and Carmen, get very excited near veggie time. They will bite on the grids untill I give them food (even when I'm all the way in the kitchen). Momo does it the most, to the point that I'm very concerned. She never did this in her last cage, so I'm not sure why she does it now. I'm pretty sure that she consumes the rubber coating because I never see it when I spot clean the fleece. I push her away (gently) but she just comes right back up to the grids and chews again. Please help!

dinorap

Cavy Slave
Maybe try to be quieter getting the veggies out of the fridge...

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
Bocefus used to chew one the bars ALL the time and HAS eaten much of the rubber coating on the grid bars. I wasn't really sure what would make him stop so I ended up just putting an extra piece of chloroplast over the area he normally chewed on. For some reason he only liked that one corner? And then I hung up one of those chew blocks with the bell on the end and he avoids that like the plague [he absolutely hated it for some reason].
I think all you can really do it just block that part off. One of my friends suggested the Bitter Apple spray as a deterrent to chewing, but I'm not sure how safe/ effective it is for guinea pigs

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
Momo and Carmen chew all over the cage and not in just a certain spot. I really don't want to make the sides higher because I like to stick my hand in and let them smell me. If I absolutely cannot get her stop, I will probably do this. Thanks so much!
P.S. Does anyone else have a suggestion?

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've heard that when you clean the cage, you can rub the bars down with a vinegar/water solution, and the vinegar creates a bitter taste so they learn to not chew on the bars. I might be wrong, though.

Last edited:

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs LIKE vinegar and bitter apple spray. The only thing that has stopped my highly obsessive piggy (He has even found tons of other things) that he chews so much he breaks his teeth off. Hes done this like 14+ times in the last 4 years. Half of them being in the last 12 months since I adopted his ARCH enemy Twinky. Now the whole cage is covered in coroplast, the front and divider are plexiglass. I also have had to order fabric hay rackes from Jen's custom crafts to replace the current metal ones I have. I can't wait to get them...

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs LIKE vinegar and bitter apple spray. The only thing that has stopped my highly obsessive piggy (He has even found tons of other things) that he chews so much he breaks his teeth off. Hes done this like 14+ times in the last 4 years. Half of them being in the last 12 months since I adopted his ARCH enemy Twinky. Now the whole cage is covered in coroplast, the front and divider are plexiglass. I also have had to order fabric hay rackes from Jen's custom crafts to replace the current metal ones I have. I can't wait to get them...
Now that's weird... (No offence.) Holy cow. 14+ times??? So you can use vinegar, then?

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
OMG your pig is obsessed! That's crazy! I'm doing a full cage cleaning today so I will wipe the bars down with vineagar. Should I do 100% vineagar or 50/50 water and vineagar. Thanks!

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I use 100% white distilled vinegar because I find it cuts the pee spots, food juices and piggy spit better. But some people don't like the smell (personally I LOVE IT I also love salt and vinegar potato chips) so they dilute it with water. Get the biggest jug at the store the cheaper the brand the better I find.

Yes this piggy is neurotic. He has always been its just gotten worst since I got Twinky who HATE eachother. I've tried intro's 4 times and some times they fought right out and sometimes they tollerated eachother for days/weeks and then out right ripped eachother open when I'm not home. So they will no longer live together ever... They can see eachother through the plexiglass but nothing else.

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
I know this is a bit late, but they finally stopped chewing on the bars! I'm so happy! I have to wipe the bars down every week, but it is so worth it! I thank everyone for the advice and crazy experience's (@Onetwo). Now I just have to figure out how to get my water bottle to be quiet! :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.