Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions I'm worried about this. What can it be?

Mlmiller001

Cavy Slave
I just got a new guinea pig about 2 days ago. She's probably about 2-4 weeks old. She came from a pet store, but I didn't get her. One of my friends did and she couldn't keep her after about 2 days of having her, so I took her in (I've been looking into another guinea pig for a while, and it was perfect timing). Well today I was holding her doing a health check (I do this every other day to make sure there is nothing wrong with my piggies) and when I picked her up to put her back in her cage and there was a thing of slime left on my lap. Also when picked her up, I noticed a faint fishy smell. What could it be? Thanks
P.S. I attached a photo of it. It's hard to see but it's the best I could get. Thanks again

Attachments

6745450811_0e5dc725c4.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's probably the mucus plug that females have, but if that's the case, she's probably older than 4 weeks. Most of time their reproductive tracts are blocked by that plug, but they lose it when they come in heat. Most of the time you'll never know it's there -- we've had members who've had females for years who've never seen that. My own two sows are 2 1/2, and I've never seen one from them. It's perfectly normal.

But on the other hand, since she came from a pet store, are you really sure she's a she? There have been a rash of pregnant males on these forums recently -- all certified by the pet stores as male, all as pregnant as could be.

Welcome to the forums -- we'd love to see pictures.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.