PDA

View Full Version : Igloos

Chikochikka
01-22-12, 02:36 am
hi guys i am getting 4 guinea pigs soon and i was wondering would an large igloo be big enough i am maybe getting this one so would it be alright thanks let us know
here is the website
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-Guinea-Hide-Out-Colors/dp/B00068K132
Please let us know soon so i can buy it thanks very much

bpatters
01-22-12, 07:57 am
Actually, they'll each need their own hidey. And it's way better to have hideys with an entrance AND an exit -- that way, no pig can get trapped in one. Also, some pigs tend to just stay in their igloos, sitting in their own pee and poop and breathing in the fumes.

Good alternatives are step stools, usually available at a dollar store; a fleece forest (use the search button above to find examples); cardboard boxes with holes cut in the ends and the bottoms cut out; a towel clipped across the corners; and many other things. Look in the Photo Gallery for accessories -- you'll find lots of ideas.

And since you're new to guinea pigs, please don't go overboard buying stuff for them at the pet store. While the packaging may have a guinea pig on the front, it doesn't mean it's safe for them. They should NOT have leashes (their backs are easily injured if jerked), hamster balls (their back don't bend backwards like a hamster's does), or treats with nuts or sweet things in them.

They'll need unlimited long strand grass hay (timothy, orchard grass, bluegrass or brome), alfalfa pellets if they're less than six months old and timothy pellets if they're over six months, and about a cup of veggies per day. You can read the "read me" sticky on the diet and nutrition forum for suggestions on what to feed them, but the staples of their diet should be bell pepper and red or green leaf lettuce. Other things which can be fed often are tomato, baby carrots (or a piece of a large carrot that size), endive, cilantro, summer squash, corn husks and silks.

I hope you're adopting these pigs from a rescue or shelter. Pigs purchased from pet stores are often ill and require expensive vet visits right off the bat, or they're missexed and you wind up with unexpected (and dangerous) pregnancies. If you need help finding a shelter or rescue, post the name of the city you're closest to and we'll help you find one.

Welcome to the forum!

Holly&Fred
01-22-12, 08:33 am
You'll want five hideys for four pigs. I like to use this as one of mine: Amazon.com: Penn-Plax® Guinea Pig Castle Hide-Away®, Large: Pet Supplies (http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax%C2%AE-Guinea-Castle-Hide-Away%C2%AE-Large/dp/B0002QW3YI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327242542&sr=8-1) It's like a pigloo, but with two entrances to prevent squabbling. A word of caution, though, if your pigs are HUGE, it won't be big enough. Mine are large and they fit, but barely.

Other options are towel tents in the corners, step stools, and if you decide to make a kitchen loft, I count the space underneath as a hidey, too. Actually, it's my pigs' favorite hidey because they can keep each other company without being too close together (they're not cuddlers).

There's also fabric options like this: Fleece Cozy Sack for Guinea Pigs and Small by PennyGigDesigns (http://www.etsy.com/listing/86109389/fleece-cozy-sack-for-guinea-pigs-and) available. My pigs like fabric toys because they're versatile. They can lay in them, lay on them, and since they can be flattened, the piggies don't let them be in the way when they're running laps. Then they just nudge the entrance back open when they're ready to rest.

With four piggies, I definitely recommend the space-saving options so they have room to play in the cage. I know my two pigs can get cramped in their 2x4!

Kieri
01-22-12, 09:12 am
if you're making your own cage and you have left over grids, you can bend the grids in a U shape and throw a small towel or fleece over the top of it. it'll make a little hide-y tunnel that my pigs LOVE. they use the tunnels more than the igloos i bought them.

i'm just suggesting this because it's inexpensive, especially if you have left over grids, so they are quick and easy hiding spots for your piggies. if you have enough grids, make one for each of your pigs!

pinky
01-22-12, 03:12 pm
I have pigloos that size and some of the larger ones. I put them in at night but don't always keep them in there during the day. They are great unless you have a dominant guinea pig that will trap or force the others out. Mine like them a lot and they're easy to wash and keep clean.