Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Need ideas for C&C alternative

Eimear

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,
so my two girls are currently in a shop bought cage, ~6.5 sq feet, which I know is too small, they get loads of floor time but I know they still need a bigger cage, the problem is I'm finding it impossible to find C&C materials here in Ireland.

I was thinking of building them a wooden cage with a lino covered base and wire mesh on the sides, but that is turning out to be really expensive, so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Replys much appreciated! :)

anyone out there who's had a similar problem?

fairly new, i joined in september. I have looked through all the photos and seen some amazing cages, the problem for me is how to get inexpensive materials as Im a student and dont have much money! Id say i'll just order some grids off amazon and use lino for the base, it seems to be the cheapest, easiest option.

If you can get the grids, there are lots of options for the waterproof base -- shower curtains, linoleum, plastic tablecloths. Anything that water doesn't leak through, really. If it's really thin plastic, like the shower curtains, you just have to be very careful that the pigs don't eat the plastic.

Thanks for the ideas, Ive just found shower curtain that may work. Do you have any advice on how to stop them from chewing the plastic?

A lot of people just tape the shower curtain to the ground and lay the fleece and towels down on top of that. Or, you could fold the edges away from the grids and keep the shower curtain on the outside, like an inside out c and c cage. I'm sure there are tons of photos and even just search on youtube or google.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, Im going to order a 6ft by 6ft shower curtain and a set of 26 grids, so i was thinking of making a 3 grids by 5 grids cage, hope it works out and my two girls like it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.