Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Good deed of the day (:

aislynn99

Cavy Slave
I have been getting so incredibly frustrated with my local Craigslist pet section, where multiple people are selling hamster cages and calling them guinea pig cages. The photos on those cage boxes show a piggie that I doubt is even weaned, it's so small!

I recently made a post in my local CL pet section with a photo of a 2x3 C&C cage, stating the dimensions and how that size was the minimum acceptable for just one piggy, and linked to this site, and offered to help anyone who had questions on how to build a C&C cage. My email was flooded in minutes with people asking where to purchase coroplast, and how they had been wanting to build a C&C cage for a long time but just didn't know where to get the supplies. Most replied after I answered them to say how surprised they were at how little the supplies cost. I feel like I accomplished something good without being too soap boxish :) My biggest fear is that some uneducated person will do a search on CL for a guinea pig cage, come across a hamster cage pretending to be something it's not and doom their poor pig to a life of sitting in its own waste, barely able to turn around, thinking that is not only acceptable but normal! ::shudder::

ally112087

Cavy Slave
That is really great....You did a good job. I started off as one of those kind of people with the small cage thinking it was ok because it said it was a piggie cage. Now that I have found this website I am in the process of building my new C&C cage.

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
aislynn99 that is an awesome idea!!! What a great way to educate and help so many people and their furry companions :) There really is no reason for piggies to not be in a C & C cage, but so many people have NO idea. Great job!

Delaine

Cavy Slave
I love my C & C cages. I have built three and I only two guinea pigs. Their main cage is 2 X 4, but they have a play area 3 X 4 and I kept my original 2 X 3 and have used it once to take them on a trip to visit my daughter, (It fits in my Rav4 if I raise one end to level the cage). I do have a question regarding young guinea pigs. When I got my girls they were 5 weeks old. I was afraid they would get their head stuck in the 1 1/2" grid spaces, so I wove strips of poster board along the bottom. The problem was they couldn't look out. As soon as they got big enough I removed the strips. What do you recommend for young guinea pigs and C&C cages?

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Some people just zip tie more cubes to kind of double up, decreasing the size of the holes. I used cardboard above the coroplast to increase height but I hated the obstructed view too. Next time I'll use the extra cube idea.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.