Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Long-haired in Thunder Bay Area

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
I would love to adopt a Guinea Pig from the Thunder Bay Area, if anyone has one that they are looking to re-home please leave a message or email me.

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
If you don't find any up there, there are long haired available in central Wisconsin. Look further down the "adoption" page from your thread and you will see 2 other threads about WI guineas. I may be able to help in the delivery. I could meet them half way, and then meet you half way. Of course, as cute as those guineas are, I may not make it pass my house. LOL

stipma

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Wouldn't there be issues getting them past the border?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
It shouldn't be to hard getting into Canada.. that's easy. Just tell them he is not coming back out.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
A4PigHome, the furthest I could get would be to the Canadian/American border. I'm still currently looking around Thunder Bay. I wonder if we can actually bring them accross the border though. I think they have to have shots. I'm going to make some calls around town this weekend, but I'm almost sure that their isn't going to be very many. Or the pet stores will lie and try to sell me a Guinea Pig that isnt long haired. I'm officailly making calls about cage materials, and visiting some stores. How long of a drive would it be for you to check out these Guinea Pigs? I need one that is younger than a year and a half, and I love colours.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
I emailed the Humane Society of Thunder Bay and the only small animal they have is a single buck. I'm going to call again, just to make sure. I think that the small animals they get, they sell to the pet stores. I'm not sure what other choice I have, Thunder Bay is in the middle of nowhere. I looked in all of those search engines you gave me Slap, and nothing even comes up in the surrounding areas.

kristin25

Cavy Slave
I found these on the University of Guelph website. I don't know what type of shelters they are, but I hope it helps:
Thunder Bay

Animal House
Box 783
RedLake
P0V 2A0
807 727-3713

City of Thunder Bay Animal Control
399 Main Street
Thunder Bay
P7B 5L6
807 344-9608

Geraldton Municipal Pound
301 East St., P.O. Box 70
Geraldton
P0T 1M0
807 854-1100

Paipoonge Pound
RR #6, 1st Conc. Rd.
Thunder Bay
P7C 5N5
807 473-9591

Town of Longlac
P.O. Box 640
Longlac
P0T 2A0
807 876-2316

Town of Marathon Municipal Pound
P.O. Bag T.M.
Marathon
P0T 2E0
807 229-1340

Township of Nakina
200 Centre Ave., P.O. Box 210
Nakina
P0T 2H0
807 329-5361

Township of Schreiber
c/o P.O. Box 40
Schreiber
P0T 2J0
807 824-2711

TerraceBay Humane Society
P.O. Box 40
TerraceBay
P0T 2W0
807 825-3315

kristin25

Cavy Slave
These are also in your area code, although I'm not sure how far away they are:

Marathon Humane Society

Penlake Road

Marathon, ON, P0T 2E0

807-229-3384

Dryden and District Branch of the OSPCA

Box 101

Dryden, ON, P8N 2Y7

807-223-8721

[email protected]
Kenora Branch of the OSPCA

124 Chipman St.

Kenora, ON, P9N 4E4

807-468-1581

www.voyageur.ca/~humane

[email protected]

Hope that helps! Good Luck!

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
I called the City of Thunder Bay Animal Control, and the number had changed 7 years ago, and I have to look up the number for that, so when my mom leaves I'm going to. The other number for the Paipoong Pound, also I think might have changed cause it sounded like I called someone's house. I'm also going to look up that one and see if it has changed. Other than that, all the other places are too far away for me by myself to get to, and a long distance phone call. As soon as she leaves I'm making calls about cage material, and other shelters. There might be some home-owned pet sanctuarys or something. I hope...

kristin25

Cavy Slave
Also consider that some shelters may drive the animal to you even if it is a couple hours away. The shelter I've dealt with here in southern Ontario will drive quite a distance (but not to Thunder Bay:( ). Good Luck!

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
Ok, there are no long haired Guinea Pig breeders in Thunder Bay. I've called all the shelters, and they don't deal in small animals. They gave me a number to a man that has like the small animals, so I called there and there wasn't an answer. I'm going to try and call the number for the canadian border, too see if it's legal that we can bring Guinea Pigs over. But I'm having troubles finding the number.
A4PigHome, would it be possible for you to call the American border, and see if they will let you take a Guinea Pig over, that isnt comming back? I'm going to try and find a web site, and E-mail them, to see if I get a response.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
This is the information I found on bringing rodents into Canada. I also emailed the Ontario represntitive about any other rules and regulations, and what I would tell them at the border.

Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Animal Products
Animal Health and Production Division

Importation of Animals of the Rodentia Family

Rodents include all types of agoutis, beavers, capybaras, chinchillas, chipmunks, coypus, gerbils, gophers, groundhogs, guinea pigs, gundis, hamsters, jerboas, lemmings, maras, marmots, mice, muskrats, pacaranas, pacas, porcupines, prairie dogs, rats, springhares, squirrels, tucotucos, viscachas, voles.

The pet import requirements outlined in this page are current as of document.write (fullyear + "-" + fullmonth + "- " + fulldate) 2005-5- 28 .

The import into Canada of the following are NOT permitted:

a.Prairie dogs, Gambian pouch rats and all squirrels from all originsb.All other rodents from Africa
For further clarification on this policy, please contact one of the four Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) Import Officers:

Dr. Ken Orchard
Western Area Import Officer
E-mail: [email protected]
Telephone: (403) 292-5825 Facsimile: (403)292-6629Dr. Susan Wray
Ontario Area Import Officer
Telephone: (519) 837-9400 Facsimile: (519) 837-9771Dr. . Paul Séguin
Québec Area Import Officer
Telephone: (514) 283-8888 Facsimile: (514)283-6214Dr. Al McLean
Atlantic Area Import Officer
Telephone: (506) 851-7871 Facsimile: (506) 851-3700
Apart from the identified restrictions (a & b above), all other rodents are permitted entry into Canada from all other origins. They are not regulated under the Health of Animals Regulations* and as a result, no Canadian Food Inspection Agency import permit or health certificate is required. Normally, there will be no inspection at the border.

* Other than Part XII of the Health of Animals Regulations that regulates the transport of ALL ANIMALS and inspection activities with respect to humane transport may be conducted.

For these rodents, their import may be subject to the control by other federal or provincial government departments, for example:

1.Please contact the Canadian Wildlife Services ((broken link removed) (CITES)) at (613) 997-1840, (819) 953-6283 or visit their website at: (broken link removed) to see the if the species of animal you wish to import is on any of the CITES list and if an import permit is required from them.2.True RATS (Rattus species), are only permitted into the Province of Alberta under specific provincial authorization (Form 5 Permit to keep rats) issued by (broken link removed) to research facilities.

Last edited:

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I don't know if a rabies vaccine would hurt a guinea pig, so I am not sure.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
slap_maxwell said:
I don't know if a rabies vaccine would hurt a guinea pig, so I am not sure.

According to this rodents don't have to get vaccinated....

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
Lyndsay...it looks like it probably won't be a problem getting the gp across the border. I contacted the person in Wisconsin who has 2 males, one of which is a long haired. However, they may need to be kept together, so that could be a problem for you. The other person in Wisconsin who wants to get rid of a long haired gp has a female, and I see you have a male. So one would need to get fixed.

No matter what you decide on, you'll need a bigger cage. Are you planning on making a cc cage? I don't mind helping out some on the transportation, but I want to make sure that if I am going to do this that the guinea pig is going to have a big enough home.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
I'm working on how I'm going to ask my parents to get another guinea pig, now it looks like I'm going to be asking to get another 2.... oh man. Yeah I should ask soon. This is something I really want to do, but my dad mentioned yesterday that I couldn't have any more animals. But I'm going to try and find a fool proof plan. The lady that is getting rid of the 2 males, do you know how old they are? The female, that wont work, getting Guinea pigs spayed/neutered here costs about $250 just for the actual operation, not the medication or anything, so that isn't an option for me. Are both males long-haired? I'm going to re-arrange my room right now to see what would be the best set up for the cage.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
Ok, I have lots of room with the way I put my bed, I asked my dad about making the new cage, and got him to look at the design, all he said was "I think your wasting your time, and money", so thats a go ahead. Tomorrow, I am going to look for supplies, so that I can get the cage built, and get the plan on the way so I can tell them about my plans for more piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.