Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Coughing Coughing fit... should I be concerned?

ginny

Cavy Slave
I was holding Spoonie, and he did a small sneeze (or was it a snort? I can't tell). When he hopped up onto my shoulder to let me know to take him back to his cage, he coughed. When I put him back into his cage, he started squeaking when he heard me rattling a bag, then coughed about 4 or 5 times in the course of 45 seconds. It scared me!!

One of his eyes is sliiiightly watery (although I could just be paranoid, but he did have a little eye "boogey"/crust at the corner that I had to clean off twice today), but besides that, he's fine! Acting fine, eating a LOT, pooping fine! He coughed yesterday while eating a carrot, but it was because he took too big of a bite. He's an eager eater, heehee!

Should I be worried? Is there anything else that causes coughing in pigs besides a URI? He wasn't eating anything at the time, although he was getting excited for food. I'm a paranoid mommy; on one hand, I feel like it was just a little coughing fit, but on the other hand, I'm worried.

Thanks everyone~!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He can cough because he gets a bit of hay or food stuck in his throat, or because of hay dust.

The gunk in his eye could be a bit of dried cleaning fluid, or the beginnings of an URI. Watch him very carefully today, and if his eyes or nose seem wet, or if he isn't eating properly, or just seems "off," then whisk him off to the vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.