Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

When to Separate two Sows

houghj3

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I am new to Guinea Pigs, I've these two sows (they are both sows) for about a week now. I took them over from a previous owner. The one exhibits very dominate behavior (which seems normal based on what I've read on-line). Tonight I have separated them as I think one needs a break from being bullied.

One Guinea Pig is constantly being mounted, pushed away from food bowls and I hear a lot of squealing at night. The dominant one is going a little crazy right now having just been separated.

Am I doing the right thing? Some experience and expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
From everything I have read you should not separate unless there is bloodshed.
Establishing dominance is all part of the process for them. It doesn't just happen once.
My boys go through the routine when I add new things to their cage.
Your girls are better together than a apart. If they fight till there is bloodshed, then separate them.
This is based on what I have read here.
Good luck!

houghj3

Cavy Slave
Okay thanks, it's been only 15 minutes and the dominant is going bezerk trying to get through to the other cage. I blocked off the connecting tube. I will put them back together, no blood shed so I guess it's all right.

Thanks for your help.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Okay thanks, it's been only 15 minutes and the dominant is going bezerk trying to get through to the other cage. I blocked off the connecting tube. I will put them back together, no blood shed so I guess it's all right.

Thanks for your help.

How large is their cage? The bigger the better. With my boys I put 2 of everything in the cage so that they would not fight over anything. So, if the dominant one is being bossy with the hay, you may want to put in another rack. And remove hidey houses that do not have a "back door" or double entrance.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Read Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the introductions section is about halfway down.

I wouldn't leave them separated long -- they just have to start the dominance sorting-out all over again when you put them back together.

How big is the cage? That has a definite effect on behavior.

Do you have at least two of everything in the cage -- water bottles, pellet dishes, food bowls, etc? And are they scattered around the cage so that one pig can't guard everything? Is the hay rack large enough so they can both eat without being in each others' faces?

What kind of hideys do you have? If they have only one entrance/exit, then take them out. You may be able to put them back later, but for now, make sure everything has two doors so one pig can't trap the other. Fleece forests are nice, because nobody can get blocked up in them.

houghj3

Cavy Slave
Great information, thanks. I just added another food and water dish, right now they share one large hidey house, that's what the other owner has always had them in. I guess I just wanted to protect the one being dominated and may have over reacted.

It's basically two medium cages connected by a pipping tube, then I let them out for two three hours a day, they don't do very much when I let them out.

Thanks Again :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.