PDA

View Full Version : Help!! I have a biter!!

guineapiggymom
01-10-12, 07:50 pm
Hello, I'm new here and I have a very frustrating problem. I first got my guinea pig, Quincy in October. He seems happy and content with me but he has an annoying habit of biting me and I'm styimed. I know that guinea pigs rarely bite and they'd rather run then fight, I've noticed that he usually does't like my hand coming up behind him toward his face. Is there a reason for this and is there any way I can get him to stop doing this behavior?

ginny
01-10-12, 08:03 pm
Have you noticed that he bites when you're touching him at certain parts of his body? My friend had a very bitey pig, especially when you touched his butt... and then I discovered that he had a pretty terrible skin problem! Try to check him and make sure his skin doesn't look irritated, inflamed, or if he's itching a lot. He might be biting out of defense because contact hurts him. :(

guineapiggymom
01-10-12, 08:09 pm
I'm pretty good about checking him and he skin doesn't lopok irritated and he hasn't been itching very much.

guineapiggymom
01-10-12, 08:16 pm
I'm pretty good about checking him and he skin doesn't lopok irritated and he hasn't been itching very much. 

KD006
01-10-12, 08:21 pm
Probably a reaction to being startled, does he bite if you present your hand near his face (hands washed so as to not smell like food) Mine will jump and startle if I suddenly reach anywher near its ears but if I start out with a cheek or chin rub and move there calm as can be. She nibbles and licks w/o breaking skin although sometimes the nibbles are a bit harder than I would like, I just say 'no' and she stops and gives me a couple licks more.

guineapiggymom
01-10-12, 08:28 pm
Yeah, that's probably true. I'll have to try that next tie I have him out.

Tylerryan79
01-10-12, 09:32 pm
One of my pigs nips at me if I go near his neck/chin. Not hard enough to hurt, and he never actually gets me but bites infront of my fingers and its more of a "please stop that!". Is your pig actually biting you hard? It would hurt like hell and might break the skin. Ive been bitten twice by accident feeding cherry tomatoes by hand(I don't recommend this! Use a bigger food!) and it was painful!

Hhbean
01-10-12, 10:08 pm
My boy Huey, has a nerve on his back that if you scratch him there he will gnaw on whatever is near him. It's like he has a little seizure and normally gnaws his front toenails. The other 3 boys will purr when scratched there. I was checking him a few weeks ago for bites, because I had recently put all 4 boys together, he got my finger all the way to the bone:sick:. I ended up going to Urgent Care and being put on an antibiotic because it was really nasty but compleatly my own fault. He doesn't have any skin problems it's just that nerve in his back that triggers it because, trust me, he is the sweetest little piggy!

My Roger snaps at you if you touch his front legs, unless he's having his spa day and getting his nails clipped:crazy:! Roger never breaks the skin, it's more like a warning? I just try to avoid areas I know they don't like being petted or scratched. I only touch those trigger areas when I give them a look over every week.

All 4 of the boys were snapping when they were all together for a few weeks. We now have a divider with 2 boys on each side.

Good luck on finding out what is triggering you piggies biting.

guineapiggymom
01-11-12, 09:06 am
I was checking him a few weeks ago for bites, because I had recently put all 4 boys together, he got my finger all the way to the bone:sick:. I ended up going to Urgent Care and being put on an antibiotic because it was really nasty

Yikes!! That sounds painful!!! Glad your okay.