Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

First time owner hoping to glean from the more experienced

nhcomfort

Cavy Slave
Hi. I'm a 20 year old college student who just got 2 guinea pigs. The first is Phineas who is brown on top and white on the bottom, waist, and face. The second is Devin who is black with a white face and right arm, and a brown streak on his butt.

I found a cheap place to get wire grids so hopefully I will be able to build them a bigger cage before exams start. Here is a great site I found that offers them: Mini Grid Displays

I got them from a pet store. They seem pretty healthy luckily but I don't know how old they are. Right now, they are on 1 scoop of oxbow pellets in the morning and oxbow timothy hay. They really like carrots and kale but they will eat almost anything including the paper off of their chube/chewb (I've also given them parsley, broccoli, and cilantro), especially Devin. I just clipped their nails for the first time today and they don't seem to hate me anymore than usual, so I guess that's a good sign.

I joined the forum because I want to take good care of them and to learn more about them. (Also to look at you all's cage designs).

Here is a picture of Devin eating (as usual) and Phineas hiding (as usual). They won't let me get much closer than this so my pictures aren't as cute as some of the others I've seen. I guess I'll stop yapping. Photo on 1-9-12 at 11.39 PM #2.jpg

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! You will find all you need here for the health and happiness for your two new piggies.
So glad you have gotten them a c&c cage. They will be so much happier. The cage they are in (if they are very young) will out grow very quickly and become to small. They will need 2grids by 4grids for two.
If you look in the diet/nutrition thread the very first must read post is a wonderful list put togther by one of our administrators. It has all of the foods a guinea pig needs and how often they can have the food. Check it out. They need 1/4 cup of pellets a day. 1 cup veggies a day.
Good everyday veggies are cilantro, green peppers, red or green lettece and a small carrot a day. Parsley can be given several times a week. Broccolli given sparenly as it can cause gas.
It so sounds you are off to a great start for your Phineas and Devin. They look just adorable.

So looking forward to sharing and pictures.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.