Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting New Piggies

photobec

Cavy Slave
We just purchased our super cute piggies the other night. We've never been pet people but my son had the classroom guinea pig over Christmas and we all fell in love. Now we own two boys! They were originally bought from a breeder. The family we adopted them from had them for 3 months, I'm guessing they're about 4 months old? I did a ton of research before getting into this, so right off I knew their cage was WAY to small. Funny because the owner told me the cage was big! it's about 1 1/2x2'... We are buying materials to build tomorrow. Anyhow, she also said the pigs don't fight... Wrong again. They fight constantly. I'm wondering if it's the change to our house? The teeny tiny cage? I just saw a thread on pig puberty? When do I worry? We're trying to build fast but do I need to come up with another accommodation in between?
Thanks!

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
I dont know much about the piggie puberty with males since we have girls but I do know if they're in a small cage they're more likely to fight. That's probably most of your problem there. Maybe lots of extra floor time to run in a large space might help some. Someone with males will have more advice. Congrats on your guys and welcome.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The longer the pigs have to stay in the small cage, the more chances are that one will get seriously injured and need a vet visit. It's probably a combination of being in a new place and going through puberty and the small cage that's causing the fighting.

As long as you get the cage done tomorrow you'll probably be fine--make sure it's at least a 2x4 C&C cage. If it looks like the fighting is getting too vicious you may need to put them in a pen or your bathtub (make sure they can't get down the drain!) or something until you get the cage done.

photobec

Cavy Slave
We worked all morning on the cage. I couldn't get the coroplast yet, but I put a litter box in and some cardboard down. Things have improved but they still fight. Now it's easier to see who's provoking it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.