Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury My guinea pigs has a poorly leg

jennyp

Cavy Slave
Hello. I'm new to the forum and also new to guinea pigs. I got three about two weeks ago (the pet shop didn't want them splitting up). Anyway yesterday I found that one of them is dragging his back leg. With him being the most timmid I was surprised when he didn't object to me touching his leg. If anything he seemed to wan to snuggle. His hip seems a bit swollen but he's not making any squeeky noises when you touch it. The vet can't get him in until Tuesday afternoon but I'm unsure if I should leave him til then. Please help. Its probably me just worrying too much new owner syndroms very much the same as new parent syndrom. Thanks inn advance guys

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If he's still eating and drinking and the other pigs aren't bullying him, keep a close eye on him until you can get to the vet. I would weigh him daily and if he starts to lose any weight at all you'll want to get him in sooner. You might also consider putting a divider in the cage to separate him from his buddies and to keep him from moving around too much.

jennyp

Cavy Slave
Thank you foggy. I took your advice and seperated my piggies. I also went to the emergancy vet as Jebuses leg seemed to swell quite a lot and get very red. Anyway turns out its broken but due to where it is the vets unsure if the leg can be saved. However he did say that because of his age he would like to wait til the sweling goes down and the anti biotics have kicked in before we decide as he said it may just be a case of letting it heal naturally. Anyway I'll find out Monday. Thanks again

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I would post on www.guinealynx.info in the forum for more advice about the broken leg. I know there are a few people on there that have guinea pigs with broken legs that were fine and some who have 3 legged guinea pigs and such. So I would post your piggies story there and see if others have any important info that could help.

How knowledgable is the vet you are seeing? Many cat and dog vets know NOTHING about piggies. Also what Antibiotic was given? Many are highly toxic to guinea pigs and could kill them very quickly. Also dosage and strength (ml/g) on the bottle would be helpful as well as if we can see any x-rays if you had any. Are you putting any cold compresses on the break? Did your vet send you home with any pain killers. He should have because this would be painful...

Its good that you separated him. Keep him in a small cage for now to keep him from moving too much. I would definately start handfeeding and if he is on an AB (antibiotic) then he should be on a probiotic as well since they are hard on their little digestive systems.

Do you know if his leg got broken at the store or at your home? If it was broken when you purchased him they might have to pay for the vet bills...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.