Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Is my guinea pig sick? whats wrong with him?

Emma May

Cavy Slave
I think my guinea pig is acting weird he's usually very active but the past few days he's been sleeping a lot and just sitting facing the edge of his cage. He seems very tired or something? and also he's very fidgety and has been sliding his bum on the ground a lot. I also think his poop is smaller and lighter coloured. He's just sitting there :(

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Lethargy and hunching in corners are typical illness symptoms, along with changes in his poop. Have you been weighing him weekly? If so, how has his weight been?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Has his eating habits changed? What do you feed him each day?

Emma May

Cavy Slave
Should i take him to the vets? My dad wants to be certain before we take him as last time i thought something was wrong he turned out to be fine and no i haven't weighed him yet. By the way every so often he faintly squeeks?

Emma May

Cavy Slave
i feed him hay and dry wagg guinea pig food, i also give him veggies 2-3 times a week. His eating habits haven't changed no

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
You really ought to start weighing your pig weekly... that is probably the simplest way to catch illness early. Kitchen scales are affordable and widely available at nearly any store that has a grocery and/or kitchen section.

Being prey animals, they hide illness well, so changes in behavior are not always the first thing that will pop out. I, for one, can't tell you for certain if he is sick or not.

In the future, you might want to look into switching him to a healthier pellet, such as Oxbow or KMS Hayloft pellets.

pinky

Cavy Slave
i feed him hay and dry wagg guinea pig food, i also give him veggies 2-3 times a week. His eating habits haven't changed no

What type of hay are you feeding him and how much? If he's over 6 months he should have unlimited grass hay and no alfalfa. He should have a cup of veggies per day. Better pellet choices would be KM timothy pellets, Oxbow Cavy Cuisine.. I think the name is changed to oxbow Essentials, Sweet Meadow or Mazuri 5664. He does sound like he's ill. I'd take him in to the vet. Guinea pigs are good at hiding illnesses until they're very ill.

jacoby

Cavy Slave
That is not normal. If he won't eat get him to a vet that knows guinea pigs. You should be giving veggies daily. Free feed hay at all times and like someone mentioned buy better pellets. Guinea pigs can hide being ill so can become very ill quickly. You may have to hand feed your pig. Go to the guinea lynx site very good info on all things guinea pig.

Emma May

Cavy Slave
He didn't make it through the night :( thanks for all the help though :(

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Sorry for your loss

jacoby

Cavy Slave
Sorry, very sad.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I'm so sorry. If you have any other pigs or intend to get another, please follow the advice given on this thread and other areas here and at www.guinealynx.info regarding care.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.