Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi, there.

Princesspigpig

Cavy Slave
Im new on here but i am not a new guinea pig owner ive had my guinea pig Hobit for 1 year and i have just got a new guinea pig named Chewy.

betty

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome! Do you have any photos you can post of your piggies?

Princesspigpig

Cavy Slave
well i do but im not at my house right now so i cant post them,but i will when i get home

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! We love pictures around here, please feed our addition!

Christinieo

Cavy Slave
Can you tell us about your pigs personality and where you got them?

Princesspigpig

Cavy Slave
well i got hobit at petsmart and chewy at petco. and i know everyone is saying you should adopt and not buy well i just found that out so the next guinea pig i get i am going to adopt i am hoping to get a silkie

Trega

Cavy Slave
well i got hobit at petsmart and chewy at petco. and i know everyone is saying you should adopt and not buy well i just found that out so the next guinea pig i get i am going to adopt i am hoping to get a silkie

Most of us have made the mistake of buying from petstores with our first pigs. I am really glad you will be adopting next time! There are so many guinea pigs that need homes with a good family. I am looking forward to seeing pigtures!

Christinieo

Cavy Slave
I got mine from a breeder, they were the girls that no one really wanted. The ones that were wanted by even the owners children were being held so that they hope no one chose them. I only got mine from a breeder because of 4-H and I had to go into shows with them, next time I get them I will adopt so that I still have show piggies as well as a rescue. The breeder was nice and she was te created of my entire 4-H program and my cavy program leader. She lives piggies and so do her kids!

Trega

Cavy Slave
I got mine from a breeder, they were the girls that no one really wanted. The ones that were wanted by even the owners children were being held so that they hope no one chose them. I only got mine from a breeder because of 4-H and I had to go into shows with them, next time I get them I will adopt so that I still have show piggies as well as a rescue. The breeder was nice and she was te created of my entire 4-H program and my cavy program leader. She lives piggies and so do her kids!

I just wanted to direct you to an old topic about showing.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/cafe/55295-why-showing-animals-bad.html

pinky

Cavy Slave

You can get purebred guinea pigs from rescues, too. A lot of breeder pigs are give ups. It just takes time and patience to find the one you're looking for but it's well worth the wait. My Wishbone and Pichu are both pure breeds off of Craigslist. The owners were kids who no longer had time for them. Does 4H require that you exhibit purebreeds? I was under the impression that you could exhibit guinea pigs without papers, too.

Christinieo

Cavy Slave
I know that now, I do feel guilty but my nearest shelter is an hour away and they didn't have any pigs available because the time was near the beginning of school so all these piggies were being adopted. Next time I promise I will get an elderly guinea pig not for shows so that I can save one because usually people want young pigs so next time I will get the oldest pig.

Princesspigpig

Cavy Slave
how do you post pics on here

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Pinky, a non pure breed pig or rabbit can be used for what is called showmanship. The child is being judged on how he/she is presenting the pig. For best of breed, best in show and all ribbons placement have to be on pure breed pigs or rabbits. There are specific colors and markings and weights that are regulated. Only show pure bred animals can be shown for the pig or rabbit itself. I got many a pig that were not show quality or pigs that were disqualified when they were shown. The kids knew I would take their pigs.

That is how I got back into guinea pigs. A 4-H leader/breeder was a friend of mine. She gave me her pigs that were not show quaility.
My rabbit was a 4-H pure breed rabbit. He was bigger than the wt requirement and was disquaified. His owner gave him to me as he could not longer be shown.
P.S. This all was 7 years ago. I adopt now.

Last edited:

Christinieo

Cavy Slave
Mine aren't purebred by the way, but there weren't any up for adoption, my shelter for pigs is 45 min. away, and in the future, pretty soon actually, I am planning on getting a guinea pig from a shelter. I'd narrow it down like this, which has a great personality, then which ones have been there the longest, and finally the breed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.