Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Any advice?

Christinieo

Cavy Slave
I'm Christine and I got two piggies for my 4-H program, they are going to be in shows. I got the mid-west guinea pig habitat plus because I want room for my pigs to roam around. Their names are Pepper and Mint, so together they are Peppermint, they are sisters. One is a Teddy/Texel, the other is an American satin/White crested. They are 5 months old, almost time to adjust them to timothy instead of Alfalfa, maybe in the future I'll get them a C&C cage. They need a lid for my other pets to keep from getting to them. If you have any advice then I would love to hear it!

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the site! You get free pets from 4-H? That's so cool!
You could browse through the pictures page or the cage section of the forum to get various ideas, I personally don't know, just came here to be part of the welcome party.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! We love piggy pictures around here so if you can please post some! I love their names, that is adorable how they become peppermint! You want to give them a lot of floor time if they are in a smaller cage. What type of bedding do you use? I use fleece sewn onto 2 layers of flannel.

Christinieo

Cavy Slave
I use two layers of fleece on top of newspaper, I have a 2' by 4' Midwest guinea pig habitat plus. I usually give them 30 mins of lap time divided into two sessions of 15 mins each and then the floor time is 2 hours with open access to a litterbox that is filled with carefresh ultra. In the cage there is a hay rack over the litterbox. That you for responding!

Christinieo

Cavy Slave
I will post pictures tomorrow

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
When you get your C&C Cage made, you can make a very sturdy lid using white wire shelving. There are directions and photos somewhere in the photo gallery. They are absolutely cat proof, and you can make them dog proof as well.

My advice is to read, read, read! There is tons of good info here and also at Guinea Lynx.

Welcome!

Christinieo

Cavy Slave
Guinea Pigs' First Day 002.jpgGuinea Pigs' First Day 005.jpg023.jpg015.jpg

Christinieo

Cavy Slave
Those photos are from when they were so tiny that I couldn't do full floor time so I just used a little c=gate, not my room is guinea pig proofed and vacuumed everyday for their floortime. Then there was laptime on my couch!

Christinieo

Cavy Slave
They don't have red eyes.;)

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome! Adorable pigs! So cute. Love their coloring.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.