Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Best Christmas Present Ever!

Brittany

Cavy Slave
Hi, My name is Brittany and Im a new proud owner of a sweet sweet male GP named Gus Gus. When picking his name there was one thing I knew, he would be named after a Disney movie. 10 pts to whoever knows what movie it is from! :D
This is Gus eating his breakfast.
408551_2550193319469_1392930016_32423964_123737862_n.jpg

I am a huge animal lover that wants to become an animal behaviorist specializing in big cats. I have a 3 year old daughter, 7 year old Brittany Spaniel named Hayley, and a fat domestic cat named Steveo.
383884_2446872256507_1392930016_32377187_1018610616_n.jpg
My friend has 3 GPs and absolutely adores them. He knows how much I adore animals and even though I havent owned an animal like a GP before he knew I would give one an awesome home with lots of love. So he got me Gus.
And heres the night I got him.
409186_2521693566993_1392930016_32406633_1193972295_n.jpg
After having him for a week he has finally warmed up to me and purrs and vibrates when I pet him. Cuddling all in my neck. His favorite foods so far are spinach, oranges, and a daily grape. He seems to have gotten fatter since I got him. But he is just a baby and has some grown to do anyways.
He doesnt bite or run away. He is already very spoiled because I handle him several times a day and grab the snack bag for a special treat.
Im happy to have found a GP based forum. And excited to meet other GP parents.
Sorry for the novel, & thank you for reading <3

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
Cinderalla!! I love his name.

Welcome to the forum and I'm glad to hear you've made a commitment to all your animals. They really do have a way of enriching peoples lives.

I see a C&C cage in the background of the last picture. Is that Gus' cage? If so, that's fantastic and you're already off to a wonderful start.

Daily veggies are important, but it's more important to feed the right ones. If Gus-Gus is under 6 months then some spinach is ok, but it is high in calcium and can cause stones if fed too much. Oranges and grapes are fruits that are high in sugars and should only be fed as an occational treat. Try green and red leaf lettuce, green and yellow bell peppers, and cilantro as daily staples in Gus' diet. Also check out Ly's nutrition chart. It's a great reference.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

Brittany

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much. I didnt know about the stones. I will make sure to regulate his spinach and fruit intake.
No, thats not his cage. That is my friends cage. He's got his set up very nicely. Unfortunately due to expenses I could only get him a starter cage from PetsMart.
Here what it looks like, well the top part. But I'm sure you have seen these cages alot.
405200_2537960413654_1392930016_32417868_807387864_n.jpg
I am getting my friends 3rd GP soon because unfortunately his first 2 GPs like to run him and he is scared. So since he got Gus a week before he gave him to me we know that Pepe and Gus are very good friends. I plan to get a bigger cage and a play pen. And Ill put my cage I have now in my office because I bought him a carrier and plan to take him to work with me so he can be the office pet.
I really adore all my animals and treat them as my babies. And my 3 year old daughter is the same way. Calls them her brothers and sisters. Its sweet.
And +10 points on the Brittany scale for your correct answer!! I couldnt decide if I wanted to take the piggy way and name him after a Disney pig or go the rodent way and name him after a GP [not many] or a rat. I chose Gus Gus the mouse from Cinderella. Hes fat and cute. So it was perfect. Thanks for the response and warm welcome!!

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
Wow, you really are already doing such a great job. Getting Gus a friend is a wonderful idea!! The best toy for a guinea pig is another guinea pig.

When you do have the funds, I strongly suggest looking into the C&C cages. You can make one for between $40-50 and it will be double, possibly triple, the size of his current habitat. Be sure to check out the photo galleries for ideas of construction.

PS - Thanks for the pigtures. (we have a bit of a piggy addiction around here :shhh:)

Brittany

Cavy Slave
I currently live with my father so space is limited. But soon Ill be renting out his place and I plan to build one, their own little haven.
Thanks for the encouragement! I fell in love instantly and so did my entire family.

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Your guinea pig is adorable and so is his name!

From looking at your picture of Gus Gus in his cage, the pellets you are feeding him aren't the best. You want to get him some pellets without the colored bits or seeds. The colored bits aren't good for him and the nuts are a chocking hazard. Here are some great places to get some plain pellets:

Kleenmama has the best pellets you can give to your guinea pig. You can only buy them online from (broken link removed) but it's definitely worth it. You will want to get him their Alfalfa Based Pellets until he is 6 months old and then you can get him Timothy Hay Based Pellets.

The next best brand is Oxbow which you can find at your local Petsmart or online here Small Pet guinea pig food: Oxbow Essentials Food Since your guinea pig is under 6 months then you would want to feed him Cavy Performance Young Guinea Pig Food which is an alfalfa based pellet. When he is 6 months then you would want to feed him Cavy Cuisine Adult Guinea Pig Food.

The next best place for pellets is from Sweet Meadows: (broken link removed) I am not sure if they sell their things in stores or only online but I'm sure someone on this forum will know :)

Again your pig is adorable and welcome to the forum!

Brittany

Cavy Slave
From looking at your picture of Gus Gus in his cage, the pellets you are feeding him aren't the best. You want to get him some pellets without the colored bits or seeds. The colored bits aren't good for him and the nuts are a chocking hazard.

I have already bought him pellets without colors. I went to petsmart to return the rabbit food they accidently put in my starter cage [the food in the pic isnt rabbit food]. And they explained to me that the colored pieces that are in the guinea pig food that does come with it isnt good for him. So I bought him a huge bag of the best food they had from them based on their advice. Theres no colored pieces at all. They also said that is what they feed their GPs at the store. Thank you for the advice and concern.

CLV71

Cavy Slave
Please don't go to pet stores for advice. Most (if not all) have no clue what they are talking about. They just want to make a sale. This forum is full of wonderful information and friendly people to help when needed. Welcome to the forum. Your little guy is very cute.

Brittany

Cavy Slave
Please don't go to pet stores for advice. Most (if not all) have no clue what they are talking about. They just want to make a sale. This forum is full of wonderful information and friendly people to help when needed. Welcome to the forum. Your little guy is very cute.

I didnt go there for advice. I'm knowledgeable enough with animals to know this. And googled everything she said before buying. And I got really awesome pellets that are recommended by GP owners. Thank you for the heads up though.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!! Your piggie is sooo cute!!! And you are already ahead of the game, planning to get him a buddy and a C&C cage!! I know it's a little late for this, but CINDERELLA!!!

Just curious, what is the name of the pellets the staff @ PetSmart and other piggy owners reccomended?

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
I just love his name! Our girls are Moo and Lucy. Moo came to us named, she looked like a little black and white cow so they called her Moo :) We say she's officially Molly Moo but really we only call her Moo. Lucy...well Lucy is just a sweet little peanut and my daughter named her. I really hope to add to our herd with a Peppa and an Olivia based on some very awesome pigs. But Gus Gus is perfect, and my absolute favorite mouse from Cinderella. He's such a cute little aby guy. I have a sweet spot for the abys. Congrats on the new little man.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Congrats on Gus Gus-he's a cutie!
I get most of my supplies on-line at Drs Foster and Smith.com if you need a source for Oxbow food and hay.

Good luck with the new addition!

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! Thank you so much for those adorable pictures! I love Gus Gus's name!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.