Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New caretaker

KD006

Cavy Slave
Just got owned by an ex-schoolroom pig, saw an advertisment last week and was thinking long and hard about having another pet again and all it requires. I have had dogs (a mix german shorthair/english setter and a cocker spanial) A Pionous blueheaded parrot, japanese black bantams, zebera finches and Rowan ducks the past ten years.

This little girl needs its claws trimmed and from what I have read that should be done gradualy so the quick withdraws down the nails, I am going to get a jar of stiptic just in case. Suggestions for a nail clipper, a guilition type sisors or a small human nail clipper? I am going to go slow in either case maybe one two nails a day so it does not freak out, already have started handling and examing paws and it seems not to object much.

She is settling in to life around here, less hiding in the igloo and more romping time, loves to lap sit and be petted when not crawling up inside my vest and sleeping.

Seems to be in good health, no discharge from anywhere, coat nice and clean and not matted, may be hard to find a vet here and hope to not need one, most are dog/cat or farm vets.

Kristin

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Trim them all at once, just a little and go slowly. You'll want all the nails to be relatively even, or you'll be cutting nails forever. Reward her with yummys afterwards.
I trim my pigs' nails every 2 weeks because they always seem too long to me... I used to use human clippers but it seemed to break and bend more nail than necessary, causing more pain/pressure for the girls. I use (broken link removed) and those only for mine. Here is a good source for nail trimming also.

KD006

Cavy Slave
That sissors was the one I was thinking of when I had my parrot trimmed was what was used and less crushing action with those, shame they don't make a mini sized seargents cliper like we had for the dogs as kids, they supported the nail on the paw sid and were really easy to use.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! What have you decided to name her? We would love to see pictures!

KD006

Cavy Slave
I actualy didn't get to name her, my boyfriend did soon as he saw the cinnamon color on her neck and hind feet so it's Cinnamon, much better than 'tinkerbell'. Hope to get some photos soon, not much sunlight filtering through windows this time of year and don't want to startle it with a flash.

Oh just for ref we are almost Senior citizen's so we have plenty of time to care for the little bugger and hopefully it will be happier than in a classroom as we don't move very quickly anymore!

Kristin

pinky

Cavy Slave
You can even use flour or corn starch instead of the stiptic. I got some of the stiptic on a cut one time and it really stung so I don't use it on the guinea pigs. I just put a little on a piece of paper and dip the nail that bleeds. If it bleeds more than just a tiny bit, I dip and apply moderate pressure to the tip of the nail until it stops bleeding.

KD006

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the corn starch idea, I went to the feed mill today for pellets, bedding and hay and the only styptic they had was a giant sized container for $15.

Guess it is settling in, was sleeping as I brought in groceries but a few min after the hay was brought in squeeled loudly, didn't know what to make of it till it did it again when we rustled a walmart bag unpacking some things. Ah ha it was hungry! :D Had not heard that sound before only little chortles and purring noises. Probably going to be the alarm clock, our ducks would wait outside the bedroom window and if you coughed or moved would start honking to be fed every morning and then again in the evening would gather outside the living room to let us know it was feeding time.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!! Looking forward to sharing and of course pictures.

samdog

Cavy Slave
I use Gerber nail clippers, for baby's on my two guinea pigs. They work perfect.

KD006

Cavy Slave
Pictures as requested sorry about quality is a cheap no-name camera, 'Dad' was so relaxed after petting and feeding her he just nodded off! lol

Attachments

piggy 001.jpg piggy 002.jpg piggy 003.jpg piggy 004.jpg piggy 005.jpg

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
What a cute chubby piggie!!! Cinnamon is a great name. My son's 5th grade class had a classroom guinea pig (drove me nuts) named Oatmeal. She spent the summer with us and we tried to convince the teacher to let us keep her but it didn't work. I use infant nail trimmers too when I trim nails, just trim the very tip so that it's flat not even all that much and it should be okay. Like the previous comment I also do that about every 2 weeks. We're glad you found us, and welcome. But be warned, guinea pigs are contagious and once you fall in love with one you'll want bunches of them :)

KD006

Cavy Slave
What a cute chubby piggie!!! Cinnamon is a great name. My son's 5th grade class had a classroom guinea pig (drove me nuts) named Oatmeal. She spent the summer with us and we tried to convince the teacher to let us keep her but it didn't work. I use infant nail trimmers too when I trim nails, just trim the very tip so that it's flat not even all that much and it should be okay. Like the previous comment I also do that about every 2 weeks. We're glad you found us, and welcome. But be warned, guinea pigs are contagious and once you fall in love with one you'll want bunches of them :)

Which one? The pig on the right dropped 75# of body weight/fluids back in august when he went into ICU for heart failure now he is on a lean and mean diet too.

Cinnamon was because of the tuft on its neck, chest and hindquarters and we are loving the little bugger, day three and it is really warming up to us. Bet it is glad not to have white glue and peanutbutter wiped in its fur:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.