Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Meet Ginger!!!

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Hey guys!! I'm not exactly a newbie...but my piggie is!! Yesterday I adopted an 8 month old tricolor (black, white, and brown) sow from a girl who needed to re-home her. The ride was about an hour long, but well worth it! I built her a 2x3 C&C cage-it was going to be 2x4, but it turned out to be a little to big for my room-and bought her Oxbow Cavy Cuisine pellets and Oxbow Western Timothy Hay. We picked her up in a carrier that I bought from my local pet store with a folded towel inside (for comfort) and I brought hay. Her (old) owner gave me some of her hay and pellets and I've been giving her a mix of her normal hay and the new hay, but I thought the (once again: Old) owner said that the pellets were rabbit pellets so I gave her half and half the first day but today I just gave her the Cavy Cuisine and she seemed to love it! She dug in the second I poured the food in! She is also very sweet. She even let me pet her yesterday! And she doesn't run when I put my hand in the cage! Today I went to pick her up and she willingly let me hold her on my lap and purred as I gently pet her and talked to her in a hushed tone. She seems to be very happy and healthy, I gave her lettuce, baby carrots, and-what i thought was cilantro-parsley. So far, her favorite is the lettuce. I love her already and since I know you all love pigtures,so here you go!

When I first brought her home I forgot you had to wash the fleece so I left her in the carrier but I opened it and set the lid on the top of the opening to the litter box.

IMAG1464.jpg

This was when she first came out and sniffed around her litter box. At the time I had Carefresh in it, but after realizing how much it would cost (I used about half the bag just filling it once) to keep using it I put wood pellets in instead. I sprinkled some Carefresh on top just because it looks nicer. (matches the cage)

IMAG1465.jpg

I let her out for some floor time while the fleece dried. I used a playpen that I bought from my local pet store to block her off from going under my bed and the grid box for where the playpen didn't reach. At first she was very partial to her litter box, then she came out on the towel to eat some hay. (By the way, her floor space was bigger than the litter box and the towel, she just stayed in that one area.)

IMAG1475.jpg

Ginger eating some hay.

IMAG1483.jpg

Gingy's fave food: Letuce!!! Lol you may also notice that this is my new profile pic...

IMAG1499.jpg

Last edited:

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
Very cute... Only thing is, that lettuce looks like Iceberg, if it is, you should stop feeding her that as it can make them have loose stools and make them sick. Red and green leaf is the best... I get the Artisans pack. Comes w/ 4 small heads of lettuce.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Oh I had no idea! It doesn't say what kind it is on the package it came in...The next time I go to the grocery store I'll ask. (Tomorrow is the next time I'll be going lol)

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yay! You finally got your pig! She's so cute! :D

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Yay! You finally got your pig! She's so cute! :D

Thanks!! I know she is...haha lol But ya it took so long... hopefully Ginger knows the work I went through to get her... starting 2 months ago!! :D

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Re: Meet Ginger!!! : Cage

Here is her cage:
IMAG1478 copy.jpg

2Julia112

Cavy Slave
AWH! I am so happy for you!:)

pinky

Cavy Slave
She looks so happy! I'd round off the top corner edges of the opening to your litter box so she doesn't poke her eye. I love the fleece!

arionat799

Cavy Slave
She looks so happy! I'd round off the top corner edges of the opening to your litter box so she doesn't poke her eye. I love the fleece!

Ok thanks for letting me know! How do I do that though...? Sorry I'm stupid lol

Oh and thanks about the fleece I love it too haha :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks for letting me know! How do I do that though...? Sorry I'm stupid lol

Oh and thanks about the fleece I love it too haha :)

Just take scissors and cut a rounded edge. I'd take Ginger out of the cage while you do it. Make sure you take out the piece you cut off so she doesn't chew on it.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Just take scissors and cut a rounded edge. I'd take Ginger out of the cage while you do it. Make sure you take out the piece you cut off so she doesn't chew on it.

Oh ok I will do that as soon as I get home. Thanks! :)

arionat799

Cavy Slave
It's really nice because she is already using her litter box too! The only other place she "wastes" is in the little hidey thing I made her out of fleece in the corner of her cage and spot cleaning is so easy!!

anydue

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! You have really done your homework and have been so patient and dedicated to getting your new pig! Way to go! I admire that! She has beautiful coloring! You are lucky she is so friendly. Enjoy your new family member!

Kstyle

Cavy Slave
She is too cute! She reminds me of my Dad's piggy named Patches. Love the setup!

Piggie Mom

Cavy Slave
Congrats! She is so pretty! Love her cage. I can't wait to get my fleece in. Cleaning up after three pigs in a huge cage is a lot of work, especially with a two year old. LOL!

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
Thanks!! I know she is...haha lol But ya it took so long... hopefully Ginger knows the work I went through to get her... starting 2 months ago!! :D
2 months? Holy cow. I didn't think it was THAT long! lol Take a lot more pictures of her! :D I can't get enough!

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness, Ginger is adorable! I love your cage and fleece! Congratulations on becoming a piggy mommy!

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone!!!!!

Fizzle: Yes I know, it has been quite the roller coaster ride. I will definitely take more pics!! Glad you guys love pigtures b/c I love taking them and sharing!! :)

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
fizzle: Yes i know, it has been quite the roller coaster ride. I will definitely take more pics!! Glad you guys love pigtures b/c i love taking them and sharing!! :)
Yay! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.