Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I have a few questions

piggielovr

Cavy Slave
Alright so I need to know if c&c cages are easy to clean out? Because it would seem that it just COULDN'T be easy to clean them out with the fleece needing to be washed and having all the different pieces to have to put back together after your done.... :rolleyes: Also has anyone ever had their guinea pig jump out of the c&c cages? Because my guinea pigs like to jump and I'm nervous that they would jump out... :weepy: If I were to buy a c&c cage is it easier to get cubes and then put them together or should I get a set?

Thanks,
piggielovr

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
It's so much easier than my pet store cage ever was with disposable bedding, mainly because of the size. I would never ever change back.
But fleece IS the bedding needing most maintenance, with sweeping 2 times a day & weekly full cleaning where you need access to a good washer & have the extra time to deal with it. And if your cage doesn't have a separate kitchen area with disposable bedding, plucking hay off of fleece is a real pain.

You really don't need to use fleece as your main bedding at all, cheap wood pellets made for stables or stoves are a good option except for the weight. But it's the most absorbent & odor controlling bedding. You can have small pillows & fleece blankets in certain areas for sleeping.

Try different beddings & see which works best for you. But a C&C cage is really the best cage there is, and the only time I've heard of a pig jumping over it is if it's a male in the same room as females. While they certainly have the capacity to jump over the grids, they don't feel the need to jump out of their safe home for no reason.

It's usualy cheaper to build your own cage if you can, as well as allowing you to build it to fit into the space you have with whatever shape you want.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I'm far from being an expert but I am sure others will chime in.
I think the C&C cages are easy to change once you get the hang of it.
Now that I have a good system of what I use under the fleece and now that I keep 3 sets - I can remove, sanitize and replace in like 15-20 minutes. And my boys have a fairly large cage.

And the question of buying a set or gathering your own stuff to make the cage is probably more of a question of how easily and cheaply you can get the coroplast and grids.

I used to wash my boys fleece, towels, and uhaul blankets at home in several loads. Now I take them to the laundry to wash. I use one of those jumbo load washers and it is so much easier and worth the $3.75 to do it.
If you are worried about a jumper, I would make a closed C&C.

Good luck!

piggielovr

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the information... :) Do you HAVE to use fleece in a C&C cage, or can you use regular bedding (shavings, pellets, etc.)

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the information... :) Do you HAVE to use fleece in a C&C cage, or can you use regular bedding (shavings, pellets, etc.)

You can use any pig safe bedding in a C&C cage. Just have to figure out what works best for you.

2Julia112

Cavy Slave
Dear piggielovr,
C&C cages are much more easy to clean that smaller cages. I know this because I am the owner of a happy piggy. Sure, washing fleece may be a pain, but you can also use normal pet-bedding, too! I also recommend making your own cage because it is pretty fun (to me!) I hope you have a wonderful piggy experience and come back soon!

Thanks,
Julia:)

piggielovr

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know how to become a cavy star or slave under your name? Is it like a progress where the more questions you answer you go farther up on the scale?

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know how to become a cavy star or slave under your name? Is it like a progress where the more questions you answer you go farther up on the scale?

You'll become a Cavy Slave after you are a forum member for a month (and I think have to have at least 10 posts)

Cavy Stars and Cavy Champions are titles for people who donate certain amounts of money (not sure how much for each?)

Earausch

Cavy Slave
Cavy newbie(your status) is brand new members, Cavy slave is basic member(over 30 days on the site, and at least 10 forum posts) Cavy star/champions are people who have donated to the website for supporting guinea pig rescues and such.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.