Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How to convince your parents to let you have your piggies indoors?

PiggyLove38

Cavy Slave
My mum will not let me have my four sows inside as its winter i am concerned about the temperature also we have a cat lurking :important
They are inside a garage at the mo but its cold! (I put fleece and hay in their C&C cage though)
My mum is concerned about the smell and mess also we have two small dogs? I would clean them out twice a week plus spot clean everyday. Also 2 of my piggies are quite skittish so it would encourage them!
It would be ideal if they were in my room or dining room but i just cannot persuade her! I have made lots of power-points and other things but she will not budge!
I would really appreciate some reasons or suggestions!
Thanks x

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
I had a similar problem also. I was trying to persuade my mum to let me use our guest room as a new location for my new c&c cage. My bunny is currently in my bathroom with in a pet store cage about 2 grids long and 1 grids wide. I know it's terrible for him, but I let him out for a few hours daily. I wrote her a long letter in cursive yesterday night explaining the extents that I would take like putting plastic down over the carpet, cleaning frequently, suggesting to pay a "monthly room rent" and the reasoning for my bunnys welfare. Some of the members including Hhbean and Fizzpop40 helped me with the wording and I couldn't thank them enough. Try and write her a nice letter about it, including your ideas and extents that you would take to ensure she is please. I hope I helped! Good Luck! :)

PiggyLove38

Cavy Slave
Thanks! That is great advice i will get started on the letter straight away! Also you sound like a great bunny mum!

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
I'm glad I helped. :) I have family in the UK and my mum is English too, so I'm part English also! I gave her the letter last night and she said she would consider it! Woooh! :D She is quite picky about having pets upstairs, and especially in the room I want. So I made a huge jump today. I am planning tonight to sit down with her and have a friendly chat, and hopefully set up the cage tomorrow. I hope it works as well as it did for me for you! :) Happy Holidays! 

PiggyLove38

Cavy Slave
Well it will be a lovely Christmas surprise for you if she says yes!
I am at my dads so i have emailed it to her so fingers crossed lol!

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Yeah, it would be! :) I'll be thinking of you and hoping for your success aswell as my own. Post the result when she replies! :D

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
Hmm...can you make a written agreement that you promise to clean the cage as you stated and will do your best to make sure there is no mess or smell.

Good luck!

I'm a Mom and as my daughter is only seven, the cage cleaning duties are all mine. I think I'd jump for joy if such an offer came my way. You can also gently remind her that in cold weather, the pigs will not fare well and all our furry friends (dogs, cats, guinea pigs) deserve to be kept warm, cozy, and safe.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! I would like to offer a little advice concerning the time after you give the letter. Give your mom a day or so to think it over and ask to set up a time where you both can sit down and go over any concerns. If she does say no, accept it with calm and dignity. Because the worst thing to do is stomp and pout if you don't get your way(not saying you do that of course:crazy:). Maybe you could then suggest a trail period? Good Luck!

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
I think the trial sounds good. Perhaps tell her that if you don't follow through with the exceptional care you've planned, then they can move back to their original location. Obviously if you're going to be as diligent as you've said, they'll be inside for good... ;)

PiggyLove38

Cavy Slave
You all give such good advice! I emailed her last night so hopefully when she gets to work she
Will read it! I am at my dads then i can only talk over the phone! I hope you all have a happy christmas and a merry new year! :D

PiggyLove38

Cavy Slave
I am afraid she has said no i do not know why she will not say and she wants them to live in a leaking shed now :( but my dad is gonna help >(

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
You have to make a point to her that it is unfair that your dogs and other pets whatsoever are in a nice, warm house every night with lots of social activity around them. On the other side, your poor piggies and sitting out in the cold, lonely. I'm not giving up, and I'll keep throwing suggestions until we get her to consider it! :D

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you & your pigs are in this situation.
But if your family isn't interested in the animals welfare, or even vet care needed in the future? The right & best thing to do is to give them to someone who can give them what they need. It's harsh & sad, but the animals deserve a proper safe environment.

As our guinea pigs today are so far from their wild ancestors & bred to be household pets, they cannot handle cold, or drafts well at all & are at great risks of illnesses which could be lethal. Especially as you cannot keep a good eye on them in their current location. It's a great risk to have them that exposed in a garage or a shed in the UK climate. Quite like keeping a small child with a bad immune system out there in their pajamas all year around. If your mother has this information now, and acts the complete opposite & wants them in a more dangerous place, please do what you can to keep them safe with someone else.

Do keep us updated on how it goes with your dad & I hope it all works out well.

PiggyLove38

Cavy Slave
Its all right everyone! We are sorting out the leaking shed making a bigger cage more fleece, beds and hay also a kitchen area is being constructed on Friday so its ok! also we are making sure it is warm in the shed every-night so don't fret for the pigs! They are very spoilt :) heheh if anyone is interest i am on youtube and my name is PiggyLove38 so please check it out!

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Awesome! I glad you found a way to work around your problem. Good Luck with the cage additions! :D

PiggyLove38

Cavy Slave
YAY! thanks for subbing i subbed back! LOL sorry for asking but when are you going to make videos? also have you checked out piggiepigpigs i'm addicted!

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Thanks for subbing also :) I'm really busy right now, helping decorate our house and do our Christmas card and letter. I'm also in the process of cleaning and setting up my new C&C cage, but after New Year, I'll get going on some videos of my bunny organization, my new cage and much more! Things are just a bit complicated right now, so i'll get to them when I can.

Yes, I have heard of piggiepigpigs and have checked out a few of her videos. She does alot of work!

Thanks for asking, and I'll get to them as soon as I can! Do you have any requests/suggestions for the first few? :D Thank You!

PiggyLove38

Cavy Slave
YAY! i can request! umm what aout cage tours, introduction to your pets, cage cleaning and your supplies/organization! I hope you c&c cage works out! do you have any piggies and also if you do what are they called? Do you think you could check out FullOfCupcakes22 she is my bestfriend and also does vids! :)

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I'm hoping it will work also. I currently have one bunny, a lop named Skippy. He is my avatar -points to the left picture- <------------. He is a gray 11 mo lop male. I do not have any piggies, but am hoping to adopt a couple pairs of females soon. :)

PiggyLove38

Cavy Slave
Your bunny looks really cute!!! I hope you get your piggies don't forget to post pigtures!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.